Headlight fuse or relay?

Got an electrical gremlin? Ask the question here.
Frenchy
Engaged 4wd low
Engaged 4wd low

Headlight fuse or relay?

Post by Frenchy » Thu Nov 07, 2019 7:31 pm

Very rarely if ever drive at night,just checking my lights for yearly ITV (Spanish MOT) side lights are working no main headlights but full beam works also fog lights don't appear to come on.Is there a relay somewhere or is it likely to be a fuse or connection?

Anton
I spend far too much time on here

Re: Headlight fuse or relay?

Post by Anton » Sun Nov 10, 2019 4:38 pm

From memory you have a standard SJ413, right?

The fusebox should be under the dash, on UK vehicles it's on the right - look for this:

Thanks go to Darrel for that pic.

Check your fuses for continuity first. Some SJ's have switched negative, some switched positive - meaning a loose earth on a switched positive (if that's what you have) might be the cause of the problem.

If the fuses are ok, then either you switchgear is faulty, or a wire somewhere is degraded/loose. I don't remember there being any relays in SJ lights. Not saying there are none, just saying I don't remember seeing any in mine.
1985 SJ413VX (SJ50V) with SPOA, rear disc brakes, 31x10.5R15 Kaiman Malatesta tyres, an MOT and a lot left to do!

My: Build thread To-do list Pay and Play map

Frenchy
Engaged 4wd low
Engaged 4wd low

Post by Frenchy » Tue Nov 12, 2019 11:07 pm

Worked outt was a loose fuse for the headlights and the indicator relay was so loose it needed cable soldered to the PCB .My fuse box is different than the one pictured. The relay fitted at the top within the housing. First MOT fail on exhaust so I need to find if there is a difference from my JHT to the standard SJ413. Also failed on the tow bar electric socket (which I've never used) but will cost €30 on top of the retest fee for them to inspect the removal.

SherwoodNash
Winching along now
Winching along now

Post by SherwoodNash » Wed Nov 13, 2019 8:52 am

So you have a 13 pin socket then? as I thought only those are tested, I believe the 7 pin type is visual check only?

timwilks13
SCUK Website Padawan
SCUK Website Padawan

Post by timwilks13 » Wed Nov 13, 2019 9:51 am

Why is your garage charging you a retest fee, and why are they charging an inspection fee for something that gets 'inspected' during an MOT? And as SherwoodNash says they don't (or shouldn't) check 7 pin sockets, only 13.
1986 SJ410 - Furry dice, new window winder.

10 kinds of people in this world, those who understand binary and those who dont.

if you can read this you're too close to the monitor, sit back and save your eyes!!
My build, formally Trotters build.

SherwoodNash
Winching along now
Winching along now

Post by SherwoodNash » Wed Nov 13, 2019 10:22 am

My mistake :oops:

I just re-read you post, this is for your Spanish ITV (MOT test equivalent) so obviously diiferent regs.

Frenchy
Engaged 4wd low
Engaged 4wd low

Post by Frenchy » Wed Nov 13, 2019 3:21 pm

Yep here if it's fitted they test it. Although oddly enough they didn't test the rear window washer which although the wiper works the end that goes through the glass has perished and the plastic tube would have sprayed water everywhere except for where it should have. BTW has anyone removed a tow bar? Do the cables just need cutting securing and pulling back or are there connections that need to be jointed?

SherwoodNash
Winching along now
Winching along now

Post by SherwoodNash » Wed Nov 13, 2019 4:21 pm

My wires are sliced or 'T' 'd off existing cables going to rear lights, so you won't need to 'join' anything.

Just trim off, with a couple of inches spare near the joins in case you ever want to re-fit a tow bar again and seal off the ends preferably with connectors.

timwilks13
SCUK Website Padawan
SCUK Website Padawan

Post by timwilks13 » Wed Nov 13, 2019 8:37 pm

When I took the towbar off my old BMW I took the plug apart and just unwired it, taped up the ends and tucked everything neatly out of the way, that way you dont lose any length on the wires. Unless you have a sealed unit, in which case just cut them off with plenty of wire to spare.
1986 SJ410 - Furry dice, new window winder.

10 kinds of people in this world, those who understand binary and those who dont.

if you can read this you're too close to the monitor, sit back and save your eyes!!
My build, formally Trotters build.

Anton

Post by Anton » Wed Nov 13, 2019 10:55 pm

If it's going to be inspected, I would be heatshrinking the ends of the wires.

What did they tell you about the inspection process?
1985 SJ413VX (SJ50V) with SPOA, rear disc brakes, 31x10.5R15 Kaiman Malatesta tyres, an MOT and a lot left to do!

My: Build thread To-do list Pay and Play map