Santana SJ413 1989 Ignition problem

Got an electrical gremlin? Ask the question here.
erky32
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Re: Santana SJ413 1989 Ignition problem

Post by erky32 » Fri Sep 25, 2020 8:56 pm

hahahah - obviously not!!

rockinsuzuki58
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by rockinsuzuki58 » Fri Sep 25, 2020 9:11 pm

no your not allowed to say j _ _ p

ROBBIE
I spend far too much time on here
I spend far too much time on here

Post by ROBBIE » Fri Sep 25, 2020 10:04 pm

The thing is a SJ is a Suzuki not a anus but so many people call the SJ a anus, but a anus is a anus ;)
Sid James gone but never forgotten
Jimny 1.6 not as good as an SJ but still good

erky32
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by erky32 » Thu Dec 03, 2020 5:49 pm

rockinsuzuki58 wrote:
Fri Sep 25, 2020 9:11 pm
no your not allowed to say j _ _ p
Hi Tony, ....not been very Suzy active latterly. Weather started cooling so I put the cover on - wow, that was a wrestle, perhaps I should have put that on before it started cooling down!! (lesson learnt) - the Suzys pretty well hibernated now for the winter , no open top motoring - no fun! ....but I've bought new spades and auto wiring to hot wire a few parts of the ign wires. Even tho filling the tank with gas, it's still unreliable and konks out suddenly without warning , then refuses to start, until it suddenly decides to go again!! Theres a couple of things I need to check - it takes a lot of turning before it fires, after being left a long time, so I really need to drop the fuel line/ filter and check it clear. Replace some 12v ignition wires, maybe pull the ign switch out for a check (the rev counter has stopped working as well which points me to some common wiring points there?) I'll probs leave it till around March when the weather bucks up again, before I tinker with it.
So if you dont hear much from me till then, thats why - no doubt I'll be yelling for help again!!
Anyway, meanwhile - hope you are keeping well and we can all look forward to a more normal 2021
Have a happy festive season
cheers Eric

ScottieJ
The Boss
The Boss

Post by ScottieJ » Sun Dec 06, 2020 6:57 pm

Do you have the hot air feed pipe that runs from the exhaust manifold heat shield to the air box fitted and the valve for that pipe opened up on the air box? this time of year they suffer from carb icing and those symptoms sound exactly like carb icing. Not saying it is the cause but at this time of year the hot air feed pipe is needed for reliable running.
Zuki Build

Steady as she goes!

erky32
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by erky32 » Fri Dec 25, 2020 9:10 pm

ScottieJ wrote:
Sun Dec 06, 2020 6:57 pm
Do you have the hot air feed pipe that runs from the exhaust manifold heat shield to the air box fitted and the valve for that pipe opened up on the air box?
Happy Xmas everybody!!
Thanks for the tip ScottieJ , I've def got the heat txfr pipe fitted, it's a bit tatty and needs replacing really. I must check the valve on that & see if it works. To be honest I've been a bit lax since I put the tonneau cover on in Oct and havent done anything much since. I really bought her as a summer openair fun vehicle so she's hibernated into the garage for now. When the weather gets warmer I'm going to run a few new hotwires on the ignition 12v circuit and purge the fuel line and see if I can get some reliability established!