Headlight/Indicator PROBLEM

Got an electrical gremlin? Ask the question here.
DaveB
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Headlight/Indicator PROBLEM

Post by DaveB » Mon Jun 07, 2021 12:10 pm

Hi, I've not been on the forum for some time as My 1988 SJ410 Santana has been in the garage for a few years. has anyone any idea what the problem is with the electrics. Things seemed to be working ok after I cleaned the fuses, it passed the MOT and I drove it a couple of times. Anyway, for no reason (obviously there is!!) the headlight dipped beam is now permanently on, the only way to turn them off is to take the fuse out (it's fuse No 4 R/W wire on the upper board) numbers 1&2 are blank and No 3 (Red) is listed as the main beam. The indicators, Hazzard and brake lights don't work either. The side lights and horn are all ok and work on the stalk
I have checked the wiring as best I can. I've disconnected the plug to the back of the stalk and there's a 12v supply(W), The R/W is also 12v even when disconnected from the stalk (but still in the plug) and at the fuse (it's live at both ends), the diagram shows this is a single wire from stalk to fuse. The Red wire and R/B (horn) are 0v when unplugged. I tried a link between the Red wire and White wire at the plug but no main beam came on.
The fuse box (2 separate rows of 7 fuses) don't bear much resemblance to the wiring diagram, many of the fuses aren't used, but a single wire goes to them???
If anyone has a suggestion what the problem could be I'd really appreciate it.
Thanks
Dave

ROBBIE
I spend far too much time on here
I spend far too much time on here

Re: Headlight/Indicator PROBLEM

Post by ROBBIE » Mon Jun 07, 2021 4:16 pm

From memory there is a unit above the fuse box called a dip dim relay, which is probably had it, I believe you can disconnect it and it works without.
I could be wrong, it wasn’t a problem I had in mine
Sid James gone but never forgotten
Jimny 1.6 not as good as an SJ but still good

DaveB
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by DaveB » Mon Jun 07, 2021 4:43 pm

Robbie,
Thanks, I'll give it a go. I could see the unit but had no idea what it was. The unit and the fuse boxes are not in what I call user friendly positions.
Cheers Dave

DaveB
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by DaveB » Mon Jun 07, 2021 5:02 pm

Hi Robbie,
No good I'm afraid, Apart from the earth there were 2 wires one G and the other Y/G, I disconnected both but problem still there. Thanks again for the suggestion.
Cheers, Dave

Jordi
Bow down before me
Bow down before me

Post by Jordi » Mon Jun 07, 2021 8:34 pm

Have you completely unplugged the dim dip relay?

Not just a couple of wires?
1988 Samurai - Truck Cab & Tray Back - 1.6 8v & HIF44 - Snorkel - Stack Exhaust - PAS, YJs & 33s - Trussed, Gusseted & Pumpkin Capped Axles - 4.3 R&Ps - 4.16 T/Box - Rear Air Locker - Full Float Back Axle & Discs - RCV Front Shafts - X-Eng Handbrake - Custom Fuel Tank

DaveB
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by DaveB » Mon Jun 07, 2021 9:12 pm

Hi Jordi,
There was 3 wires including one to earth (Black), the other 2, one green the other Y/G I disconnected.
Cheers, Dave

DaveB
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by DaveB » Mon Jun 07, 2021 9:37 pm

Jordi and Robbie,
You made me think that I may have had the wrong unit. The one I disconnected was immediately above the the fuse boxes and from your last post I thought you were expecting more than 2 wires, so I looked on the passenger side and could see another unit with a plug in of about 5 wires so I unplugged that one and would you believe it the lights are working normally. Thanks very much, I was completely baffled and would never have sorted that one out without your help. However, the indicators are still not working, any thoughts??
Thanks again, Dave

Jordi
Bow down before me
Bow down before me

Post by Jordi » Tue Jun 08, 2021 3:00 pm

Dim dip kinda looks like a small heat sink. No idea what its purpose is but sounds like you found.

Glad your sorted bud.
1988 Samurai - Truck Cab & Tray Back - 1.6 8v & HIF44 - Snorkel - Stack Exhaust - PAS, YJs & 33s - Trussed, Gusseted & Pumpkin Capped Axles - 4.3 R&Ps - 4.16 T/Box - Rear Air Locker - Full Float Back Axle & Discs - RCV Front Shafts - X-Eng Handbrake - Custom Fuel Tank

Jordi
Bow down before me
Bow down before me

Post by Jordi » Tue Jun 08, 2021 3:03 pm

If its no indicators at all.

Fuses? (Obvious i know)
Bulbs?
Earths?
Stalk?
Flasher relay?

Just a case of work back from the lights checking all earths and connections.

Check there is power to and from the stalk.

DaveB
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by DaveB » Tue Jun 08, 2021 4:18 pm

Hi Jordi,
I checked everything as best I could and all seems to be ok. The only thing I can't check is the relay so I've ordered a new one on eBay. I'll find out in a few days. Thanks again for all your help. I'll let you know what happens,
Cheers and best wishes, Dave