Lost key car write off 99 vitara

Got an electrical gremlin? Ask the question here.
Vitarafan
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Lost key car write off 99 vitara

Post by Vitarafan » Wed Dec 29, 2021 12:10 pm

:| I lost my main key with immobiliser
Three garages have tried to fix , bought new ecu , immobiliser by pass , the latest garage says I need pin out what ever that means , I haven’t had my car for 8 months , the mechanic says it’s unfixable and will be write off insurance , gutted I have had the car 19 years and is part of the family . Please any help much appreciated
Vitara 4u2 2000 , 1.6 petrol

maxaret
Engaged 4wd low
Engaged 4wd low

Re: Lost key car write off 99 vitara

Post by maxaret » Wed Dec 29, 2021 3:43 pm

Do you have the original owners manual ? it might have the original key number written in ?
If the electrical system has not been ruined by garage meddling and if you still have the original ECU etc - your local Suzuki dealer might be able to order one for you as Suzuki UK should be able to look up the original key number.
We got a new key for our 2005 Grand Vitara a few months ago from our local dealer - Suzuki use a company somewhere down south to supply/cut them - it cost us about £230 although we did get a £30 discount because I managed to find the original Alloy Key Number Tag.
The only downside with your situation was that we had to take the car into the Suzuki dealer to pair the key to the car.
I am surprised there is no 'work round' for the immob problem though :(

ScottieJ
The Boss
The Boss

Post by ScottieJ » Wed Dec 29, 2021 4:59 pm

The ECU, key and immobiliser are all coded together so you can't just replace one part of the system or bypass the immobiliser.

Either refit the immobiliser and original ecu and get a new key coded to these or you will need to fit a new matching key, immobiliser and ECU from vitara of the same era (and same ECU part number)

You could fit a ecu from an earlier model without an ECU but there would be some rewiring involved that isn't very simple unless you are familiar with automotive electrics, Not something the majority of car garages would be willing to tackle as its a very time consuming job.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/274858351195 ... SwY6Rg5Gro this guy is breaking a 4u, could message to see if he has the key, ignition barrel, ecu, imobiliser and lock set still?
Zuki Build

Steady as she goes!

maxaret
Engaged 4wd low
Engaged 4wd low

Post by maxaret » Wed Dec 29, 2021 6:55 pm

ScottieJ wrote:
Wed Dec 29, 2021 4:59 pm
you will need to fit a new matching key, immobiliser and ECU from vitara of the same era (and same ECU part number)
That might well be the cheapest way to fix it up,I was thinking about that earlier but was not 100 % sure exactly which parts were required LOL

Rankine
Can I have a tow
Can I have a tow

Post by Rankine » Thu Dec 30, 2021 10:11 pm

I did the same with a old vitara of mine. I grabbed the immobiliser ecu halo barrel and key out the scrappys and swapped then over and all worked?
SJ413 LWB Santana 33s, 94",