RPM not working

Got an electrical gremlin? Ask the question here.
Flori
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

RPM not working

Post by Flori » Wed Apr 13, 2022 4:41 pm

Hello everyone!
I have a Suzuki Vitara 1.9 diesel, year 1999, manual transmission 5 gear.
An year before, I was having some issues with the RPM needle on the tachometer. At the beginning it only worked occasionally, going from on to off.
Some months before, unfortunately, the engine went bad and I replaced it with the same engine model XUD9SD.
After a changed the engine, the RPM needle never started working again.
I don't know what is causing this problem, and where the RPM sensor is attached on the engine itself or at the gearbox.
Maybe there is someone who had encountered this problem before and knows how to fix it.
I will be waiting for your suggestions.
Thank you very much!

maxaret
Engaged 4wd low
Engaged 4wd low

Re: RPM not working

Post by maxaret » Wed Apr 13, 2022 10:22 pm

Hi Flori and :welcome:
Not sure about the suzuki applications but on my old Pug 405 with an XUD engine - the RPM sensor was on the gearbox,I know because the main bearings were worn on mine and the 'floating' internals actually 'machined' the sensor away completely.
The RPM gauge used to 'flick around' from zero to max before eventually it stopped working completely.

Flori
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by Flori » Thu Apr 14, 2022 5:58 am

Hello 👋
I was thinking the same, that the rpm sensor is located on the gearbox, but I cant find it.
Do you remember the place where it was? Can be found easily, and does it requires an mechanic to remove the sensor?
Thank you very much for your reply

maxaret
Engaged 4wd low
Engaged 4wd low

Post by maxaret » Thu Apr 14, 2022 9:13 am

Hi
I can't remember - it was a long time ago - the sensor probably works off crankshaft or flywheel,some are on the engine and some are on the clutch housing,it will not be difficult to change as long as you can positively ID its location (although might be awkward access ?) - not easy to find out on the internet,I think usually held in by one bolt ?
A friend of a friend rebuilt my gearbox and I never actually saw it whilst removed from car.