Spot light wiring

Got an electrical gremlin? Ask the question here.
ScottieJ
The Boss
The Boss

Re: Spot light wiring

Post by ScottieJ » Fri Aug 05, 2011 10:28 pm

Tramp wrote:
I think only some SJ's are negatively switched, mine is positively like. most cars!
Tramp wrote:Yeah Spanish Sammy and ordinary wiring with negatively switched full beam, I suppose mines. a relatively late one at 92' though
I'm confused Luke :lol: so is your's positively switched or negatively switched :lol:
Zuki Build

Steady as she goes!

ScottieJ
The Boss
The Boss

Post by ScottieJ » Fri Aug 05, 2011 10:29 pm

Darrell wrote::er: My spotlights are wired up just as that diagram and come on with high-beam. It's just past it's MOT like it and nobody commented.
It's only a recent thing as far as I'm aware so i wouldn't be suprised if some testers even know about it :lol: others probably just dont care :doublethumbs:
Zuki Build

Steady as she goes!

Tramp
Suzuki, will you marry me?

Post by Tramp » Sat Aug 06, 2011 8:37 am

Argh wires crossed, mine switches the positive leg of the circuit so the circuit has no power until the switch is on, the negative leg goes straight to earth.... and my earth point is on the little struts inside the engine bay, mines not an injection model just a plain old carb'd Sammy

Darrell

Post by Darrell » Sun Aug 07, 2011 10:54 pm

How about this one. Sorry, it was raining, I was a little bored, so blended the 2.

2005-GV 1600se, "Hell" What do I know!

Rjmaas512
Engaged 4wd low
Engaged 4wd low

Post by Rjmaas512 » Mon Aug 08, 2011 6:01 pm

Excuse my really bad work, cba to get photoshop out or the electronic diagram/simulation software out.

This is how mine are wired and it works.
Attachments
Untitled.png
Untitled.png (267.09 KiB) Viewed 28399 times

Darrell

Post by Darrell » Mon Aug 08, 2011 6:52 pm

Bet you there not. If you wired them like that the spotlights would come on until you switch the headlights on then they would go off.
If you have switched live then the above headlight circuit is not what you have. your circuit would be like this.
Attachments
lamps.gif
lamps.gif (6.01 KiB) Viewed 28396 times

Rjmaas512
Engaged 4wd low
Engaged 4wd low

Post by Rjmaas512 » Mon Aug 08, 2011 8:14 pm

Just went out to have a look to make sure im not talking shit. Pin 86 is connected to ground, 85 to pain beam feed, pin 30 to +ve feed from battery and pin 87 to the spot lights and it works. The spot lights don't come on until I switch main beam on.

I seem to have pin 85 and 86 the other way round to your diagram, but it may be that there is a PD across the coil when main beam is on, resulting in the relay to close is bi-directional, meaning that the current can flow from pin 85 to 86 or visa versa.

This diagram is probably clearer.

http://www.landyzone.co.uk/lz/attachmen ... wiring.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Rjmaas512
Engaged 4wd low
Engaged 4wd low

Post by Rjmaas512 » Mon Aug 08, 2011 8:39 pm

Ah know what it is, i'm being an idiot. On my SJ you switch the positive to the head lights and the ground is connected to the body. On other peoples SJ you switch the ground, which is why Scotties diagram and Darrell's diagram are correct and why it wouldn't work on my SJ.

Apologies there Darrell my mistake

Darrell

Post by Darrell » Mon Aug 08, 2011 9:34 pm

To be honest I've been messing with SJ's for over 10 years and not come across one yet with switched positive for the headlights but as you know they do exist. Vitara's are also a mixture. Yes pins 85/86 are just a coil so I doesn't matter which way round there wired.
Would be nice to have a wiring diagram for switched positive headlights on a SJ but I've never found one.
No need to apologize, just glad we've sussed it. Cheers - Darrell. :thumbup:

Rjmaas512
Engaged 4wd low
Engaged 4wd low

Post by Rjmaas512 » Mon Aug 08, 2011 10:30 pm

It is probably because mine is LWB and had all the wiring bodged together. I believe I may have sorted all the bodged wiring but I don't want to speak too soon. I will take one piece off and unearth another mess next time I work on the SJ.

Some people really should not be allowed to touch wiring :argh:.