Spot light wiring

Got an electrical gremlin? Ask the question here.
ScottieJ
The Boss
The Boss

Spot light wiring

Post by ScottieJ » Fri Feb 26, 2010 12:41 pm

Wiring up spotlights so that they come on with main beam with switched earth systems like Japanese built SJs.
spots.JPG
Zuki Build

Steady as she goes!

chan
Engaged 4wd low
Engaged 4wd low

Re: Spot light wiring

Post by chan » Fri Feb 26, 2010 1:47 pm

thats very handy thanks! my indicator stalk is on its way out and when i try and use the full beams they wont stay on or will stay on and not turn off so was thinking of putting a switch in for now.

i have cleaned it all up using a popular tutorial but the lobes are knackerd

cheers

Rjmaas512
Engaged 4wd low
Engaged 4wd low

Post by Rjmaas512 » Fri Aug 05, 2011 11:58 am

Tried using this, are you sure the diagram is correct? My spots stay on sometimes, think its because the relay does not switch back properly.

Looking at the diagram shouldn't pin 86 of the relay be connect to ground and not pin 30 on the relay.

There needs to be a potential difference across the coil for the relay to allow current through to the spot lights, so with both pins 30 and 86 connected together there is no potential difference when full beam is switched on, and a potential difference running in the opposite direction when they are switched off causing a magnetic field caused by the change in flux in the coil in the opposite direction of that required.

I will try connecting pin 86 to ground now and see if it works.

ScottieJ
The Boss
The Boss

Post by ScottieJ » Fri Aug 05, 2011 12:12 pm

Rjmaas512 wrote:Tried using this, are you sure the diagram is correct? My spots stay on sometimes, think its because the relay does not switch back properly.

Looking at the diagram shouldn't pin 86 of the relay be connect to ground and not pin 30 on the relay.

There needs to be a potential difference across the coil for the relay to allow current through to the spot lights, so with both pins 30 and 86 connected together there is no potential difference when full beam is switched on, and a potential difference running in the opposite direction when they are switched off causing a magnetic field caused by the change in flux in the coil in the opposite direction of that required.

With SJs the full beam is negatived switched so 86 is the earth when full beam is turned on. I used to have my spots wired up like this with no problems, however it is now illegal to have spots wired up to main beam, they should be on their own circuit.
Zuki Build

Steady as she goes!

Tramp
Suzuki, will you marry me?

Post by Tramp » Fri Aug 05, 2011 2:38 pm

ScottieJ wrote:
Rjmaas512 wrote:Tried using this, are you sure the diagram is correct? My spots stay on sometimes, think its because the relay does not switch back properly.

With SJs the full beam is negatived switched so 86 is the earth when full beam is turned on. I used to have my spots wired up like this with no problems, however it is now illegal to have spots wired up to main beam, they should be on their own circuit.
I think only some SJ's are negatively switched, mine is positively like. most cars!

ScottieJ
The Boss
The Boss

Post by ScottieJ » Fri Aug 05, 2011 3:37 pm

Are you sure yours are positively switched Luke :er: As far as I'm aware all suzuki's are negatively switched when it comes to full beam and the horn :er: Vitaras and Jimny's are. All Toyota's are also the same.

:er: Is yours Spanish? perhaps Spanish SJs aren't?

I just pulled this from the 88service manual
headlightwiring.jpeg
headlightwiring.jpeg (65.04 KiB) Viewed 37567 times
Zuki Build

Steady as she goes!

lazy rambler
Can I have a tow
Can I have a tow

Post by lazy rambler » Fri Aug 05, 2011 4:48 pm

Is yours Spanish? perhaps Spanish SJs aren't?
My SJ is Spanish and has a negative earth.
:blackside: 2" Shackles, 31" x 10.5" Buckshot Mudders, 1.6 8V with SU :blackfront:

Now a build in progress

Tramp

Post by Tramp » Fri Aug 05, 2011 7:18 pm

Yeah Spanish Sammy and ordinary wiring with negatively switched full beam, I suppose mines. a relatively late one at 92' though

Darrell

Post by Darrell » Fri Aug 05, 2011 7:57 pm

:er: My spotlights are wired up just as that diagram and come on with high-beam. It's just past it's MOT like it and nobody commented.
Lucky I guess as that's how there staying.
Switched earth looks a little confusing as some of the wiring would read 12v positive after the relay coil but only until that side is earthed then it becomes negative :S .
Slightly modified diagram may help explain better.

Relays can get worn and the contacts pitted, this can make them stick on, especially when using high wattage bulbs.
Attachments
lights.jpg
lights.jpg (34.41 KiB) Viewed 37551 times
2005-GV 1600se, "Hell" What do I know!

dan_2k_uk
I spend far too much time on here
I spend far too much time on here

Post by dan_2k_uk » Fri Aug 05, 2011 8:34 pm

apparently some are positive switch and some negative. Had this problem the other day when trying to fault find on 1994 model. totally different to mine.

is it to do with the later injection models?
Janspeed manifold, LWB Vit vented discs and calipers

Build thread -- Build photos -- HLA-Artwork
Coming soon: YJs, Trussed axles, Full float rear.