why dont my indicators work ?

Got an electrical gremlin? Ask the question here.
ROBBIE
I spend far too much time on here

why dont my indicators work ?

Post by ROBBIE » Tue Dec 30, 2008 5:14 pm

a few weeks ago my indicators started speedin up slowin down. i tried 4 flasher units all of wich have gone 2 fast. all the lights work hazards work normal. ive cheked the earths all look good now im outta ideas can any1 help b4 the threaten 2 scrap it again thanks
Sid James gone but never forgotten
Jimny 1.6 not as good as an SJ but still good

Tramp
Suzuki, will you marry me?
Suzuki, will you marry me?

Re: why dont my indicators work ?

Post by Tramp » Tue Dec 30, 2008 5:32 pm

how about bulb wattages? have you fitted the correct bulbs? if the wattage on the bulb is to small it will flash to fast,

after that my next bet is your side light indicator units on your front bumper they don't seal properly and if youve been through some silty puddles they fill up with mud shorting out ther connections and making them flash to fast.

Luke

ROBBIE

Post by ROBBIE » Sat Jan 03, 2009 11:57 am

cheers luke tried your suggestions but still not workin. i think the problem is its a spanish model and its bin a pig since day 1 wot irealy need is a wirin diagram so if any 1 got 1 maybe you post it thanks
Sid James gone but never forgotten
Jimny 1.6 not as good as an SJ but still good

bourneyo
The Boss
The Boss

Post by bourneyo » Sun Jan 04, 2009 12:17 am

The spanish Wiring is loaded of gremlins! Mine is spanish!

THIS is a wiring diagram, but it is USA spec, but may give you an idea. If I stumble across the UK spec diagram I will post it up, Or if anybody has a copy I will host it up on the site.

Dan 8-)
http://www.suzukiclubuk.co.uk the new home for your suzuki sj

Kirkynut
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by Kirkynut » Sat Jan 17, 2009 1:22 pm

Hi there,

I would check all the connections to everything concerned in the indicator system and replace any connection that has any sort of a question mark hanging over it.

Our 410 is Spanish and has only presented electrical problems from age, not due to where it came from. It may be that the Spanish models have lesser quality wiring and thus show their age sooner but my understanding is that no Suzuki wiring from the SJ era was of any good quality!

If only one side flashes quickly then it has to be a connection on that side and he flasher unit is not suspect. If both sides are flashing quickly then I would be suspecting the flasher unit or it's connections, so not necessarily the flasher unit it's self - it's just a plug in relay on the fuse board and the right one can be obtained from any good motor factors, perhaps one that is good with car electronics - such as an A1 Motor Store.

The other thing I would do before anything else though is to change all 6 indicator bulbs. Sometimes they can blow, especially when bounced about alot off road, but as they are so hot, the element welds it's self back and it works fine again - for a while. This will not cost much and may be the problem.

I have had this on two road cars recently, one a side light and the other an indicator. the indicator kept fixing it's self before I could pull over to see if it was front or back and drove me mad until I could get out quick enough to see which bulb it was. It was only the bulb though.

Give it a try, you never know!

Kirky