Ignition problem

Got an electrical gremlin? Ask the question here.
Highlander
Can I have a tow
Can I have a tow

Ignition problem

Post by Highlander » Fri Apr 20, 2012 10:58 am

I'm struggling with a wee ignition problem, been at it a few weeks now on and off and its getting to me! :D

Just wondered if anyone might have any ideas that i've missed.

Is there an ignition relay somewhere that I can't find??

93 Samurai 1.3 carb model.

I drove it into its current parking place about 3 months ago so it was working ok.

It had just returned from a weekend playing in the water and we had the water up as far as to cover the seat bases :)

I have slowly been doing some bodywork/mechanical jobs to it but when I went to start it the problem arose.

When I turn the key to position 2 I have no ignition lights (oil/battery) showing

At this point the window wipers/heater fan etc work but the indicators/hazard lights don't

It also won't turn the starter in position 3

I had initially assumed a bad earth, I've replaced the clutch so had the engine strap off but it has been cleaned/tested and refitted.

I have also tried another battery and made an earth connection to the block using jump leads, no difference.

I have power coming from the battery (white fusible link) right through to the ignition switch no problems.

Ignition switch tested ok.

I have power returning to the fuseboard (brown/blue) via ignition switch

All fuses ok, have removed fuseboard and cleaned all terminals/fuses etc

I can't get the starter to turn at all, even bypassing it so it may be knackered/jammed/rusted

I have power in the instrument cluster, if I earth the oil pressure switch/alternator wire etc I can get the ignition lights to come on so bulbs are ok.

So in summary :

no ignition lights/indicators when ignition is on but everything else working ok

Starter dead even when bypassed/block earthed etc (ignition switch does send power to it)

I'm sure its something simple but really don't want to start removing the dash and tracing every wire :hahaha:

Anyone any ideas?

ScottieJ
The Boss
The Boss

Re: Ignition problem

Post by ScottieJ » Fri Apr 20, 2012 12:28 pm

Sounds like an interesting one to be honest.

I'm not sure if they are all linked or a few separate problems? at least yu ahve other SJs to borrow bits off ;) 3 things I'd try first are

starter
alternator
flasher relay
Zuki Build

Steady as she goes!

turbo-tom
I spend far too much time on here
I spend far too much time on here

Post by turbo-tom » Fri Apr 20, 2012 12:39 pm

i remember once when i came back from slindon i washed all my truck down and there was a tiny little spade connecter that came off the started motor put that back on to were it needed to go and if fired straight up

but that might be nothing to me sounds like you have opend up a tin of worms :lol:
Tom :)

Ford Fiesta ST :D

twiss
SCUK Computer Wizard
SCUK Computer Wizard

Post by twiss » Fri Apr 20, 2012 2:01 pm

Is the big fat positive cable on the starter?
Thats what provides the majority of your engine power. This would knock out your alternator light and starter motor for sure!!!
Twiss

'93 Suzuki Samurai Sport 1.6 16v SU. Virtual lift, spring under, 31s
'93 Maruti Gypsy MG410

"If brute force doesn't fix your problem, you aren't using enough of it."

Highlander
Can I have a tow
Can I have a tow

Post by Highlander » Fri Apr 20, 2012 2:07 pm

Yes thats on ok, have removed/cleaned and checked it.

Don't see how that would affect the alternator light though even if it were disconnected??

twiss
SCUK Computer Wizard
SCUK Computer Wizard

Post by twiss » Fri Apr 20, 2012 2:15 pm

Oh yeah thats true, the alternator does have seperate power cables/plug
Twiss

'93 Suzuki Samurai Sport 1.6 16v SU. Virtual lift, spring under, 31s
'93 Maruti Gypsy MG410

"If brute force doesn't fix your problem, you aren't using enough of it."

Highlander
Can I have a tow
Can I have a tow

Post by Highlander » Fri Apr 20, 2012 2:18 pm

Its a strange one, i think it's some sort of grounding problem but god only knows where!! :hahaha:

Ginger_boy
Engaged 4wd low
Engaged 4wd low

Post by Ginger_boy » Fri Apr 20, 2012 7:04 pm

It is just a thought, but I have had strange electrical experiances with my SJ. Try replacing the Fuseable link with a new piece of wire or as I did a jumbo 45Amp fuse. It all started when I Changed the battery and must of disturbed the link
I found although I was getting 12v where I was supposed to as soon as I put any load on the ignition i.e trying to start the car everything would go dead and I mean dead clock, radio etc, these would reset no power at all, changed the link now have no probs.

I have also had to rewire stuff like the washer pump because somewhere between the steering wheel and the washer bottle the cable has corroded and although I had continuetly I had about less than 6v when I check the voltage cutting the cable back only showed that it had corroded. I don't think suzuki ment for these cars to last that long.

its just a thought.

I'm assuming your headlights, clock horn interior light, dash lights all work?
It' a 4x4 why not drive it across a field

Darrell
Suzuki, will you marry me?
Suzuki, will you marry me?

Post by Darrell » Fri Apr 20, 2012 7:09 pm

Highlander wrote:I'm struggling with a wee ignition problem, been at it a few weeks now on and off and its getting to me! :D

Just wondered if anyone might have any ideas that i've missed.

Is there an ignition relay somewhere that I can't find?? Nope

93 Samurai 1.3 carb model.

I drove it into its current parking place about 3 months ago so it was working ok.

It had just returned from a weekend playing in the water and we had the water up as far as to cover the seat bases :)

I have slowly been doing some bodywork/mechanical jobs to it but when I went to start it the problem arose.

When I turn the key to position 2 I have no ignition lights (oil/battery) showing

At this point the window wipers/heater fan etc work but the indicators/hazard lights don't The indicator and hazard circuits have different supply feeds so I'm going with knackered relay as you filled it with water :D

It also won't turn the starter in position 3

I had initially assumed a bad earth, I've replaced the clutch so had the engine strap off but it has been cleaned/tested and refitted.

I have also tried another battery and made an earth connection to the block using jump leads, no difference.

I have power coming from the battery (white fusible link) right through to the ignition switch no problems.

Ignition switch tested ok.

I have power returning to the fuseboard (brown/blue) via ignition switch

All fuses ok, have removed fuseboard and cleaned all terminals/fuses etc

I can't get the starter to turn at all, even bypassing it so it may be knackered/jammed/rusted I'm going with the solenoid being rusted into the body (strip and clean)

I have power in the instrument cluster, if I earth the oil pressure switch/alternator wire etc I can get the ignition lights to come on so bulbs are ok.

So in summary :

no ignition lights/indicators when ignition is on but everything else working ok

Starter dead even when bypassed/block earthed etc (ignition switch does send power to it)

I'm sure its something simple but really don't want to start removing the dash and tracing every wire :hahaha:

Anyone any ideas?
Or no earth on relay

Was the rear of the fuse board ok :IE not corroded.
Attachments
indicator circuit.jpg
indicator circuit.jpg (51.42 KiB) Viewed 8409 times
2005-GV 1600se, "Hell" What do I know!

Highlander
Can I have a tow
Can I have a tow

Post by Highlander » Sun Apr 22, 2012 2:25 pm

Getting there...

I actually took the starter off the other night and it was the solenoid but having cleaned it and got it all moving freely again its still dead although the motor works ok.

Stuck another starter on it and wahaay! we have ignition lights again and it starts and runs!! Dunno why the lights were out with the other solenoid, earthed/rusted out maybe?

Still no indicators or hazards, i did replace the relay previously Darrell, it was full of water and rusted like you said but didn't make any difference.

So I'm getting there, at least its been running again!!

Although it ran for about an hour then cut out and now i have no ignition lights again but it will turn the starter but not fire up!! :)