fuel tank sender resistance

Got an electrical gremlin? Ask the question here.
Jordi
Bow down before me
Bow down before me

fuel tank sender resistance

Post by Jordi » Mon Feb 17, 2014 9:21 pm

To open up my options for a custom tank size / shape I'm looking at universal senders.

Anyone know if the resistances make a difference to how the gauge reads?

If so what resistance is a standard sender at full and empty?

Also seem some with gauges but I like the idea of keeping my existing gauge is possible.
1988 Samurai - Truck Cab & Tray Back - 1.6 8v & HIF44 - Snorkel - Stack Exhaust - PAS, YJs & 33s - Trussed, Gusseted & Pumpkin Capped Axles - 4.3 R&Ps - 4.16 T/Box - Rear Air Locker - Full Float Back Axle & Discs - RCV Front Shafts - X-Eng Handbrake - Custom Fuel Tank

Ladaman
Suzuki Guru
Suzuki Guru

Re: fuel tank sender resistance

Post by Ladaman » Mon Feb 17, 2014 9:57 pm

To make life simple, why don't you get two elbow's welded on at the top and bottom of the side of the tank, then put a see through fuel pipe on the outside of the tank between the elbows. You will have an easy to see fuel level gauge.

You could even add markers on the first fill if you fill it up 5 litres at a time from empty.
YouTube
Ignis Sport 1.5 16V; Jimny gearbox, 410 transfer box; 5.125:1 Vitara diffs; rear Lockright, Rob Storr full float rear axle, rear discs, YJ springs, virtual lift, 31" Grizzly Claws, beadlock rims, +50mm LR arches, LED rear lights, LED roof spots, bucket seats, Luke harnesses, internal cage

Darrell
Suzuki, will you marry me?
Suzuki, will you marry me?

Post by Darrell » Mon Feb 17, 2014 10:03 pm

Jordi wrote:To open up my options for a custom tank size / shape I'm looking at universal senders.

Anyone know if the resistances make a difference to how the gauge reads? Yes

If so what resistance is a standard sender at full and empty? Below is from the 413 workshop manual

Also seem some with gauges but I like the idea of keeping my existing gauge is possible.
Attachments
sj 413 jap.png
sj 413 jap.png (169.11 KiB) Viewed 4829 times
2005-GV 1600se, "Hell" What do I know!

Jordi
Bow down before me
Bow down before me

Post by Jordi » Mon Feb 17, 2014 11:22 pm

Cheers Darrell, should have brought my manual to work for some light reading.
1988 Samurai - Truck Cab & Tray Back - 1.6 8v & HIF44 - Snorkel - Stack Exhaust - PAS, YJs & 33s - Trussed, Gusseted & Pumpkin Capped Axles - 4.3 R&Ps - 4.16 T/Box - Rear Air Locker - Full Float Back Axle & Discs - RCV Front Shafts - X-Eng Handbrake - Custom Fuel Tank

blitzman
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by blitzman » Mon May 26, 2014 7:38 pm

Firstly are these resistances the same on a 3 pole sender unit fitted to the later spanish models?
I have a spare single pole unit and could cobble something together, previous mine failed many years ago and I used a Landrover S111 unit (Landrovers do have there uses) a new mounting plate had to be made, mine is the one with the snap ring fitting not the 6 screws, it work quites well and was about 1/4 of a tank out which I could live with but this has now failed and was wondering if the triple pole could be swapped for a single pole?
I`m not too bothered about fuel light.

ScottieJ
The Boss
The Boss

Post by ScottieJ » Mon May 26, 2014 11:33 pm

I've never worked out how to get a 3 pole sender to work in a jap Sj and vice versa, tbh I haven't really spent much time trying though. I might have a spare 3 pole sender, I'll have a look.
Zuki Build

Steady as she goes!

twiss
SCUK Computer Wizard
SCUK Computer Wizard

Post by twiss » Tue May 27, 2014 10:55 am

pretty sure they will have different resistances as they connect through the tank rather than the separate earth wire...
you'd probably need to swap a different gauge in as well
Twiss

'93 Suzuki Samurai Sport 1.6 16v SU. Virtual lift, spring under, 31s
'93 Maruti Gypsy MG410

"If brute force doesn't fix your problem, you aren't using enough of it."