Rear disk

Starts at the flywheel, ends at the hubs, any problems along them lines, ask your questions here.
Famerbennie
Engaged 4wd low
Engaged 4wd low

Rear disk

Post by Famerbennie » Fri Nov 01, 2019 6:42 pm

Hi everyone, when doing a rear disk conversion has anyone welded the original holes up in the axle caliper mounts as when i mark the new holes up in them to mount to the axle they seem very close to the old holes!

Anton
I spend far too much time on here

Re: Rear disk

Post by Anton » Fri Nov 01, 2019 11:33 pm

I made custom caliper mounts out of (from memory) 10mm plate, and bolted it in place using the original axle bolt holes. I did that because I wanted to use Rover rear calipers for better brake balance under heavy braking.

If you're using the caliper mounts off a front axle, then yes the bolt holes are extremely close. I don't think anyone bothers welding up the old holes though, no. I doubt it's treated or forged steel though, so as long as you don't warp it then you won't harm it by welding it up.

Full rear disk conversion article here.
1985 SJ413VX (SJ50V) with SPOA, rear disc brakes, 31x10.5R15 Kaiman Malatesta tyres, an MOT and a lot left to do!

My: Build thread To-do list Pay and Play map

marve114
Engaged 4wd low
Engaged 4wd low

Post by marve114 » Sat Nov 02, 2019 8:05 pm

Welded mine up

Pablo410
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by Pablo410 » Sat Nov 09, 2019 9:14 am

Do you need to pull the front shafts to get the brackets?

Do you have to pull the rear shafts to cut the backplate off? - or can you get creative with the cutting?

Famerbennie
Engaged 4wd low
Engaged 4wd low

Post by Famerbennie » Fri Jan 10, 2020 3:52 pm

20200110_154851.jpg
Has anyone else had this problem

timwilks13
SCUK Website Padawan
SCUK Website Padawan

Post by timwilks13 » Fri Jan 10, 2020 7:17 pm

Have to ask the silly questions first, sure thats as far in as it will go? Might have just not lined up the teeth properly. Is the bearing pressed on as far as it can go? Some bearings come with a little collar in which case you don't need the little spacer, if your bearings have the collar AND you fitted the little spacer it would cause it to stick out far enough.

Did you cut the spacer from the original backing plate? Looks like that might be the missing piece. Check point 7 from this guide: https://www.suzukiclubuk.co.uk/how-to-t ... conversion
1986 SJ410 - Furry dice, new window winder.

10 kinds of people in this world, those who understand binary and those who dont.

if you can read this you're too close to the monitor, sit back and save your eyes!!
My build, formally Trotters build.

timwilks13
SCUK Website Padawan
SCUK Website Padawan

Post by timwilks13 » Fri Jan 10, 2020 7:18 pm

Looked a bit harder at the picture you sent and it looks like the backplate spacer is missing?
1986 SJ410 - Furry dice, new window winder.

10 kinds of people in this world, those who understand binary and those who dont.

if you can read this you're too close to the monitor, sit back and save your eyes!!
My build, formally Trotters build.

Famerbennie
Engaged 4wd low
Engaged 4wd low

Post by Famerbennie » Sun Feb 16, 2020 12:44 pm

All back together but just tried it jack up and only one side is turning???

If i stop the turning side the other side spins!

Any help am i just being a knob

Jordi
Bow down before me
Bow down before me

Post by Jordi » Sun Feb 16, 2020 5:25 pm

Presuming that is with it in gear and “driving” and an open diff. Thats how open diffs work.

Which ever wheel is easiest to turn, turns. Soon as that wheel hits resistance the other wheel turns.
1988 Samurai - Truck Cab & Tray Back - 1.6 8v & HIF44 - Snorkel - Stack Exhaust - PAS, YJs & 33s - Trussed, Gusseted & Pumpkin Capped Axles - 4.3 R&Ps - 4.16 T/Box - Rear Air Locker - Full Float Back Axle & Discs - RCV Front Shafts - X-Eng Handbrake - Custom Fuel Tank

Anton

Post by Anton » Sun Feb 16, 2020 10:40 pm

It might be that your new brakes need bedding in. One brake might be dragging just slightly more than the other.

Hold the wheel that turns more freely and let the other side spin for a few minutes. Then let everything cool down and test again.

Was this happening before the brake upgrade? Might not be the brakes, it could be one bearing has slightly more friction than the other.

It's probably nothing, but it's worth keeping an eye on.
1985 SJ413VX (SJ50V) with SPOA, rear disc brakes, 31x10.5R15 Kaiman Malatesta tyres, an MOT and a lot left to do!

My: Build thread To-do list Pay and Play map