SJ410 - rear propshaft "play"

Starts at the flywheel, ends at the hubs, any problems along them lines, ask your questions here.
DavidB
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

SJ410 - rear propshaft "play"

Post by DavidB » Thu Feb 18, 2021 12:32 pm

I've had my SJ since July last year, I've spent the past six months restoring it, and put it back on the road a couple of days ago.
It's fine, but there has (and always has been) a rumble from the back. I've cleaned up the running gear and repainted them - putting the rear prop back in, I noticed there's a lot of movement in the join on the rear prop. It's the part under the rubber gaiter and is spline slotted. Is this terminal and I'll need a new shaft, or cant it be re-invigorated somehow. I've packed with grease and it's better, but over 50 is a rumbling racket.
1984 Suzuki SJ410V

Jordi
Bow down before me
Bow down before me

Re: SJ410 - rear propshaft "play"

Post by Jordi » Thu Feb 18, 2021 12:58 pm

The original props has a coating on the splines.

Chances are its worn off. Not sure if they can be re-coated of if you’ll need to source a replacement prop.
1988 Samurai - Truck Cab & Tray Back - 1.6 8v & HIF44 - Snorkel - Stack Exhaust - PAS, YJs & 33s - Trussed, Gusseted & Pumpkin Capped Axles - 4.3 R&Ps - 4.16 T/Box - Rear Air Locker - Full Float Back Axle & Discs - RCV Front Shafts - X-Eng Handbrake - Custom Fuel Tank