Renewing Gear Box Fluid

Starts at the flywheel, ends at the hubs, any problems along them lines, ask your questions here.
Frenchy
Engaged 4wd low
Engaged 4wd low

Re: Renewing Gear Box Fluid

Post by Frenchy » Sun Jun 09, 2019 2:20 pm

That post was the diffs,this is the gear box. ;) I read somewhere that if you overfill the gear box it can cause foaming,but the post I read wasn't Samurai specific.

Anton
I spend far too much time on here
I spend far too much time on here

Post by Anton » Sun Jun 09, 2019 3:43 pm

Yeah, it *can* - but it's no big deal. Keep in mind, oil is there to lubricate. As long as there is a thin film of oil on everything inside the gearbox, everything will be fine. Too little oil, and some parts can end up running dry - and therefore wearing out far too fast. Too much oil sometimes results in foaming as the gears churn up the oil (forcing air into the oil at high speed). But it won't stop the gears from being covered by a thin film of oil. All it will do is waste power as the gearbox uses some of your HP to make foam instead of using it all to turn your tyres.

As I said before, in an engine too much oil can be a complete disaster, because it can be forced past the rings, get into the combustion chamber and cause pistons to jam before top dead centre, bending rods etc - or causing thick smoke to come out of your exhaust by burning (and possibly causing a runaway if it's a diesel). Too much oil in a diff can get past the seals and wash the grease out of your bearings, causing them to eventually run dry and die early.

In your gearbox, there's nothing running grease that can be washed out. I might be wrong about that (someone please correct me if I am wrong) so the worst that can happen is a slight loss of power.

You're fine. Stop worrying!!!
1985 SJ413VX (SJ50V) with SPOA, rear disc brakes, 31x10.5R15 Kaiman Malatesta tyres, an MOT and a lot left to do!

My: Build thread To-do list Pay and Play map

Frenchy
Engaged 4wd low
Engaged 4wd low

Post by Frenchy » Tue Jun 11, 2019 4:02 pm

:D Will do,thanks.