Vitara Transfer box rattle/ticking

Starts at the flywheel, ends at the hubs, any problems along them lines, ask your questions here.
Harvitara33
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Vitara Transfer box rattle/ticking

Post by Harvitara33 » Sun Dec 15, 2019 1:42 pm

Got a sukuzku Vitara 1.6 auto 2004 my first off road car 🙂

Mods big off road tyres, 2 inch lift on suspension and a 2 inch lift on the body

Right the problem 😂 when I release the accelerator I have a ticking/clicking sound and doesn’t go away until I either accelerate again or stop almost sounds like a sprocket on a bicycle when you stop pedalling ... you can also feel the noise in the transfer box knob to select 2 and 4 wheel drive looked underneath can’t see anything wrong on thing I have noticed is that it’s not got a rear proper shaft spacer ...

Would really appreciate any help as it’s driving me mad ! Also the 4wd light on the dash flickers not constantly stays on for 2 seconds solid then flickers again

donkeychomp
I spend far too much time on here

Re: Vitara Transfer box rattle/ticking

Post by donkeychomp » Mon Dec 23, 2019 10:40 pm

I've owned a Vit and they are great trucks but have been wondering about yours. An auto box is normally not anyone's first choice with an off roader (unless you like Range Rovers) and you say it's been lifted and has big tyres? Lifted how much? Prop angles ok? How big are the tyres? The transfer box might be struggling with them. Is it slow? Compared to lets say a standard road car with a similar engine capacity. Those might give you an idea into what's going on down there!
If it ticks over...leave it

Harvitara33
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by Harvitara33 » Tue Dec 24, 2019 12:58 am

Fancied an auto my daily is a manual and tbh and lifted 2 inch on the body and 2 inch on the suspension . Tyres are 235/70r16

I think it drives great and speed I’ve not really gave it any boot as it gets 45/50 it’s pretty deadly 😂 the noise goes away when it’s in 4 wheel drive only happens when it’s in 2 wheel drive I fitted a 12mm prophecy spacer and the noise doesn’t seem as bad

donkeychomp

Post by donkeychomp » Tue Dec 24, 2019 9:38 pm

Seems you found the cause of the rattle, nice one!
If it ticks over...leave it