Wheels and Tyre sizes help please

Starts at the flywheel, ends at the hubs, any problems along them lines, ask your questions here.
ScottieJ
The Boss
The Boss

Re: Wheels and Tyre sizes help please

Post by ScottieJ » Wed Aug 05, 2020 1:36 pm

Sorry yes you have fixed flanges. They are not auto, auto were available for SJs though. I misread and missed the “standard” and thought that you knew for sure that you had auto huns fitted.

I know it’s a Suzuki manual but personally I would never flat tow an SJ how that manual says to, if the Tbox jumps into gear it will destroy the engine. I have read many stories of it happening and I personally think it’s a misprint. Other manuals state Tbox in 2wd high and Gearbox in neutral.

It’s best practice to have freewheeling hubs up front and unbolt the propshaft from the rear diff then tie it up out of the way somewhere (in a way it can’t come apart)
This is the only way I would ever flat tow an SJ for a long distance.
Zuki Build

Steady as she goes!

ScottieJ
The Boss
The Boss

Post by ScottieJ » Wed Aug 05, 2020 1:41 pm

Also it will be fine on motorways with 235/75s if it has a healthy engine, be even better with a 410 transfer box as I mentioned before.

I used to drive an SJ410 on the motorway with 235/75s :lol:
Zuki Build

Steady as she goes!

Jordi
Bow down before me
Bow down before me

Post by Jordi » Wed Aug 05, 2020 7:18 pm

I already said all of that Scottie 😂😂😂

But yeah, what Scottie said. I robbed most of the ideas for my SJ from him to start with.
1988 Samurai - Truck Cab & Tray Back - 1.6 8v & HIF44 - Snorkel - Stack Exhaust - PAS, YJs & 33s - Trussed, Gusseted & Pumpkin Capped Axles - 4.3 R&Ps - 4.16 T/Box - Rear Air Locker - Full Float Back Axle & Discs - RCV Front Shafts - X-Eng Handbrake - Custom Fuel Tank

SMITHEREEN
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by SMITHEREEN » Sat Aug 08, 2020 2:49 pm

Guys, see attached pics of what's under the plastic caps front (new looking one) and back. What are these exactly and if they're not autos do I need to reverse every time I take it out of 4wd into 2wd or is that unnecessary?
Attachments
IMG_0593.JPG
IMG_0804.JPG

Jordi
Bow down before me
Bow down before me

Post by Jordi » Sat Aug 08, 2020 5:27 pm

Unnecessary to reverse.

If the 4wd lever is in 4wd, you are in 4wd.

Move the lever to 2wd and you are in 2wd. Simple as that. Don’t need to drive it forwards or backwards.

The front is just a fixed drive flange in constant mesh with the half shaft. If you undo the bracket for the plastic cover and pop off the little domed cap you’ll see the splines on the end of the shaft.

The rear is just the end of the half shaft.
1988 Samurai - Truck Cab & Tray Back - 1.6 8v & HIF44 - Snorkel - Stack Exhaust - PAS, YJs & 33s - Trussed, Gusseted & Pumpkin Capped Axles - 4.3 R&Ps - 4.16 T/Box - Rear Air Locker - Full Float Back Axle & Discs - RCV Front Shafts - X-Eng Handbrake - Custom Fuel Tank

SMITHEREEN
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by SMITHEREEN » Sun Aug 09, 2020 2:09 pm

Thanks Jordi, it’s all making more sense now