Calipers

Starts at the flywheel, ends at the hubs, any problems along them lines, ask your questions here.
border
Engaged 4wd low
Engaged 4wd low

Calipers

Post by border » Tue Oct 13, 2020 8:29 pm

Working on SJ With converted rear discs.
All 4 corners except 1 of the rears seems to be working OK.
Calliper is seized solid, Already replaced the fronts with ones off Jimny, from local scrap yard.
He only has a Vitara left so Question is will the Vitara Callipers fit the SJ ??
Thanks.

Jordi
Bow down before me
Bow down before me

Re: Calipers

Post by Jordi » Tue Oct 13, 2020 9:14 pm

Refurb them if the castings are ok.

https://brakeparts.co.uk/shop/Suzuki/Je ... 0Cylinders

New are readily available but a bit more expensive.

https://brakeparts.co.uk/shop/Suzuki/Ji ... 0Cylinders
1988 Samurai - Truck Cab & Tray Back - 1.6 8v & HIF44 - Snorkel - Stack Exhaust - PAS, YJs & 33s - Trussed, Gusseted & Pumpkin Capped Axles - 4.3 R&Ps - 4.16 T/Box - Rear Air Locker - Full Float Back Axle & Discs - RCV Front Shafts - X-Eng Handbrake - Custom Fuel Tank

Jordi
Bow down before me
Bow down before me

Post by Jordi » Tue Oct 13, 2020 9:20 pm

For some reason the first link isn’t working.

https://brakeparts.co.uk/shop/Suzuki/Je ... 0Cylinders

If that link doesn’t work just search by suzuki, j eep (had to put a space in as the word anus always appears on this site as anus), sj413, front calipers.

Can buy all the bits to refurb them.
1988 Samurai - Truck Cab & Tray Back - 1.6 8v & HIF44 - Snorkel - Stack Exhaust - PAS, YJs & 33s - Trussed, Gusseted & Pumpkin Capped Axles - 4.3 R&Ps - 4.16 T/Box - Rear Air Locker - Full Float Back Axle & Discs - RCV Front Shafts - X-Eng Handbrake - Custom Fuel Tank

border
Engaged 4wd low
Engaged 4wd low

Post by border » Tue Oct 13, 2020 10:26 pm

Jordi wrote:
Tue Oct 13, 2020 9:20 pm
For some reason the first link isn’t working.

https://brakeparts.co.uk/shop/Suzuki/an ... 0Cylinders

If that link doesn’t work just search by suzuki, j eep (had to put a space in as the word anus always appears on this site as anus), sj413, front calipers.

Can buy all the bits to refurb them.
Thanks Mate, most of the stuff seems to be out of stock at the mo, but will save this site for future.

Jordi
Bow down before me
Bow down before me

Post by Jordi » Tue Oct 13, 2020 10:53 pm

Try bigg red. Had parts from them before too.

Bigg red on ebay

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/274064441486

If they are seized chuck them in a bucket of duck oil for a bit.

Brand new jimny caliper. A lot cheap than SJ calipers despite being the same caliper

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/363054656510

Anton
I spend far too much time on here

Post by Anton » Wed Oct 14, 2020 10:44 am

Don't mess with Vitara calipers, they'll throw your SJ's brakes out of balance, and the bleed nipple is in the wrong place - so they'll be a pig to bleed, and as such probably not safe.

Vitara calipers are physically different sized pistons to SJ calipers. If you put Vit calipers up front and SJ ones in the back, you might be ok - but as I said, the bleed nipple would make them a pig to bleed still.

You have to take the caliper half off, bleed them, keep rotating them and re-bleeding until you're sure there's no air in there, and then put them back on.

If you go to Vit calipers, get a vacuum brake bleed kit. Probably worth getting one anyway.
1985 SJ413VX (SJ50V) with SPOA, rear disc brakes, 31x10.5R15 Kaiman Malatesta tyres, an MOT and a lot left to do!

My: Build thread To-do list Pay and Play map

border
Engaged 4wd low
Engaged 4wd low

Post by border » Wed Oct 14, 2020 7:35 pm

Anton wrote:
Wed Oct 14, 2020 10:44 am
Don't mess with Vitara calipers, they'll throw your SJ's brakes out of balance, and the bleed nipple is in the wrong place - so they'll be a pig to bleed, and as such probably not safe.

Vitara calipers are physically different sized pistons to SJ calipers. If you put Vit calipers up front and SJ ones in the back, you might be ok - but as I said, the bleed nipple would make them a pig to bleed still.

You have to take the caliper half off, bleed them, keep rotating them and re-bleeding until you're sure there's no air in there, and then put them back on.

If you go to Vit calipers, get a vacuum brake bleed kit. Probably worth getting one anyway.
Thanks will stay clear of the Vitara ones then.
I do have one spare decent calliper that will fit bit it has a different carrier and takes different pads, so dont think that 2 different callipers with different pads on either side of rear axle would work.

Anton

Post by Anton » Wed Oct 14, 2020 8:31 pm

Sounds like you have a mix of Aisin and Girling (aka Lucas-Girling) calipers.

Don't mix and match, make sure you use the same type on your axle.

You can use one type on the front axle, and the other type on the rear if you have to, so long as they match left to right, as the pistons in Girling are slightly smaller and will cause the vehicle to pull to one side under braking if they don't match left to right.

Put the Lucas-Girling calipers on the back if you *have* to mix. Asins are 51mm, Lucas-Girlings are 48mm.
1985 SJ413VX (SJ50V) with SPOA, rear disc brakes, 31x10.5R15 Kaiman Malatesta tyres, an MOT and a lot left to do!

My: Build thread To-do list Pay and Play map

ScottieJ
The Boss
The Boss

Post by ScottieJ » Thu Oct 15, 2020 7:30 pm

Nothing wrong with vitara calipers. you just need to rotate them around the disc to bleed them with the nipple at the top.

Always check the piston size though, the Vitara swb lucas girling are 48mm so need to be on the back if you have Jimny calipers up front, depending on the rear disc conversion you have, you might be able to rotate the mounts around so that the vitara calipers sit with the nipple at the top as well.

LWB vitara calipers with the vented discs are a good upgrade to the front brakes.
Zuki Build

Steady as she goes!

border
Engaged 4wd low
Engaged 4wd low

Post by border » Thu Oct 15, 2020 7:38 pm

Still Stuck, New calipers are a fortune, can get some Jimny ones cheapish but without the Holders dont want to order them to find that they dont fit my Holders here is pics of whats on the rear, I have Jiomnys on the front.
Attachments
IMG_20200921_185856.jpg
IMG_20200920_134553.jpg
IMG_20201008_163107.jpg