Power steering issue

Starts at the flywheel, ends at the hubs, any problems along them lines, ask your questions here.
wtmvm
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Power steering issue

Post by wtmvm » Mon Jun 21, 2021 11:07 am

Could any one help me with a problem I have?
My 2001 1.6 grand vitara has developed an unusual fault with the power steering. In the wet it works fine in the dry however it becomes very stiff and difficult to turn the wheel! Any diagnostic advice would be greatly appreciated.

Regards wtmvm....

maxaret
Engaged 4wd low
Engaged 4wd low

Re: Power steering issue

Post by maxaret » Mon Jun 21, 2021 1:27 pm

Wet or Dry should not affect the Power Steering,however it might be worth looking at the Ball Joints/Steering Arms/Track Rod ends for any signs of serious wear/corrosion,a corroded ball joint/TRE I suppose might ease off a little when wet.I would be tempted to put both front wheels on skid plates and see if there are any untoward noises and serious 'play' from any of the steering components with engine 'off'.
Other than that I would check over the Steering Fluid Level and condition/tightness of rubber drive belt.

wtmvm
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by wtmvm » Mon Jun 21, 2021 3:53 pm

Thanks I'll jack it up tonight and look.

maxaret
Engaged 4wd low
Engaged 4wd low

Post by maxaret » Mon Jun 21, 2021 4:46 pm

Easier to see 'play' in the steering whilst the car is on the ground,which is why I suggested skid plates - you can also listen for noises whilst moving steering.
Have a good look at all the steering/suspension joints etc - sometimes you can see evidence of 'rust' coming out of really bad ones - also worth checking any rubber gaiters on the ball joints/TRE's etc for splits and damage.

wtmvm
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by wtmvm » Thu Jun 24, 2021 8:07 am

Hi. This is really puzzling me. I've checked all the ball joints and track rod ends and can find no problems. After the rain at the weekend steerings been fine, now it's been dry a few days it's gradually getting stiffer again. If it stays dry I'll repeat the checks to see if anything is different in the dry. Is there any possibility it could be anything to do with the ps belt as it's the only thing I can see water affecting? That's counterintuitive as I'd have expected water to make a problem there worse! Thanks guys...

maxaret
Engaged 4wd low
Engaged 4wd low

Post by maxaret » Thu Jun 24, 2021 5:15 pm

You may have to start disconnecting some components to see if you can detect/isolate any stiffness in swivels/ball joints etc.
I am assuming that the 'Fan Belt' is in good condition and is tight enough - they do have to be quite tight to work properly - from memory only 5-7mm deflection under finger pressure which is tighter than the old - see if you can twist the belt 90 degrees check.
Also I am assuming that the Pump is ok and with good power steering fluid at correct level.

wtmvm
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by wtmvm » Mon Jun 28, 2021 7:58 am

Thanks for the reply. I'll check the belt for tightness again as it felt ok but not as tight as you recommended.

wtmvm
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by wtmvm » Tue Jun 29, 2021 10:17 am

Puddles on the road and steering's fine again! Go figure lol...

maxaret
Engaged 4wd low
Engaged 4wd low

Post by maxaret » Mon Jul 05, 2021 8:20 am

Other than disconnecting at ball joints etc to check for any seized/stiff components.

I assume tyre pressures are not set too low - ours are usually set to 25 psi.

Maybe change power steering fluid if clutching at straws ?

ScottieJ
The Boss
The Boss

Post by ScottieJ » Mon Jul 05, 2021 3:33 pm

A common issue on those is the little Universal joint onto the steering rack that goes stiff and fails.

Strange about the weather changing how stiff it is but it’s possibly worth checking that, they are quite awkward to get to though.
Zuki Build

Steady as she goes!