Once it was a Samurai ! Brake problem.

Starts at the flywheel, ends at the hubs, any problems along them lines, ask your questions here.
rabbit
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Once it was a Samurai ! Brake problem.

Post by rabbit » Mon Jun 28, 2021 3:14 pm

IMG_3113.JPG
Hi Guys, I`m converting my Samurai to a Midge Mk2, I`m at the stage of finishing the brakes the front bled fine giving a good hard pedal, but I can`t get any fluid to the rear wheels ! What am I doing wrong ? I attach a picture of a unit that`s under the rear body, what is it please ?
Sorry if I`m dense here but I can`t see it in the Haynes Manual.
Also attached are a couple of pics showing the current state of play.
Many thanks, Dave.
IMG_3105.JPG
IMG_3106.JPG
IMG_3107.JPG

ROBBIE
I spend far too much time on here
I spend far too much time on here

Re: Once it was a Samurai ! Brake problem.

Post by ROBBIE » Mon Jun 28, 2021 10:37 pm

Looks good mate. I do believe it is the bias valve, gives less force going to the rear. I could be wrong so hopefully someone else will back me up or prove me wrong haha
Sid James gone but never forgotten
Jimny 1.6 not as good as an SJ but still good

d_r_1989
Winching along now
Winching along now

Post by d_r_1989 » Tue Jun 29, 2021 11:20 pm

It's a bias valve, to stop too much pressure going to the drums. When converting to discs you can do away with it.
Can't say if that's your issue though, I guess crack a pipe in turn either side to see

maxaret
Engaged 4wd low
Engaged 4wd low

Post by maxaret » Wed Jun 30, 2021 7:29 am

It is a brake pressure proportioning valve - you cannot really remove it completely as it is designed to stop the rear wheels locking up under normal braking.
Many years ago I had trouble with one of these valves on a mini,the pressure control spring inside the valve had weakened or broken and whenever I tried to use the rear brakes the valve shut completely off,I could actually hear the valve 'click' shut.I don't know if the Suzi valve is a similar design but it could be a similar problem.