Mystery boltheads in diff.

Starts at the flywheel, ends at the hubs, any problems along them lines, ask your questions here.
RichB
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Mystery boltheads in diff.

Post by RichB » Tue Apr 19, 2022 6:22 pm

Hi all, today I changed the oil in the diffs on my Jimny Alto Hatchback, 2005, the first time since buying the vehicle 2 years ago and which has now got 70,000 kilometers clocked. Upon removing the drain plug to the front diff, two sheared 11mm bolt heads also fell out. I've attached a picture of the bolts, along with the drain plug. Has anyone any idea where these boltheads could be from? Could they have been put in there deliberately in order to increase the magnetic attraction of the magnetic drain plug? I really can´t think of anything else. The magnet on the drain plug was quite clogged with debris with only a few tiny bits of metal ¨shavings¨attached...so nothing major I reckon.
Sheared 11mm bolt heads.
Sheared 11mm bolt heads.
Any suggestions would be most welcome.

Jordi
Bow down before me
Bow down before me

Re: Mystery boltheads in diff.

Post by Jordi » Tue Apr 19, 2022 7:21 pm

Unlikely they have been put in there deliberately, that would be utter stupidity.

Sadly i’d say something in the diff isn’t as well bolted together anymore as it was originally.

Probably worth stripping the diff for a look inside, i know i would be.
1988 Samurai - Truck Cab & Tray Back - 1.6 8v & HIF44 - Snorkel - Stack Exhaust - PAS, YJs & 33s - Trussed, Gusseted & Pumpkin Capped Axles - 4.3 R&Ps - 4.16 T/Box - Rear Air Locker - Full Float Back Axle & Discs - RCV Front Shafts - X-Eng Handbrake - Custom Fuel Tank

ScottieJ
The Boss
The Boss

Post by ScottieJ » Tue Apr 19, 2022 10:44 pm

That’s not a good sign, I would get the diff out ASAP to inspect, sheared bolts are a sign of loose bolts and any loose bolts in a diff are an exploding diff ticking time bomb.
Zuki Build

Steady as she goes!

RichB
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by RichB » Thu Apr 21, 2022 8:44 am

Thanks for the comments guys, looks like they may be from the crown in the diff, have the matter in hand, thanks again.