Transfer box handbrake info.

Starts at the flywheel, ends at the hubs, any problems along them lines, ask your questions here.
timpaton
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Re: Transfer box handbrake info.

Post by timpaton » Mon Jan 16, 2012 6:00 pm

Hi Tramp, i have broken your response down, to simplify for me, so

Question - Hi Right then the small metal pipe on box 2 how is it attached?

Answer - its kind of pushed in, loosely, and is not secured, so i guess it will fall out. i took it out and the pipe is not threaded, and never has been. However the hole looks like at some point somebody may have attempted to cut a thread or there was a thread and it has worn out.

Tbox 1 has the collar and cap, but it is a much wider diameter than the hole on tbox 2, i have taken it out with pipe grips, and there is no way it will fit tbox 2, due to its wider diameter, without drilling, etc. I don't want to do this as i would like to rebuild/have rebuilt tbox1.

Understand about installing a breather, from the earlier responses, many thanks. However it is now installed in vehicle, so i doubt this would be easy to do now.

Is there anybody on here who refurbs the boxes? i think somebody called rock watt was mentioned earlier, it was suggested i PM (does this mean private message? him) Although i don't know him, or how to do this?
Tim

Tramp
Suzuki, will you marry me?
Suzuki, will you marry me?

Post by Tramp » Mon Jan 16, 2012 6:40 pm

yes rockwatt does refurb them his details are here http://www.suzukiclubuk.co.uk/phpBB3/ph ... le&u=10483
(you can find all member's details up on the top right of the screen under the 'suzukiclubuk' logo) To send him a PM (private message) Scroll down and tot he left there will be 'PM' in the contact section, you click it and compose a message a bit like an email,

As for your breather conundrum im a bit lost I think all sj t boxs have the cap & collar breather and they are all the same size, If you upload some pictures it might help explain (a pictures worth a thousand words, right?) but other that I can only speculate. It wouldn't surprise me if tbox-one had never had the collar removed, but the 'shoulder' that sticks out had been cut off, which would leave a lot smaller hole. Really if the pipe fits in it loosely it won't be a good enough seal to stop water getting in so really not suitable. Could you try looking really closely to see if it IS just the push in section of the collar with the shoulder removed? if it is you should be able to get a stud remover into it to pull it out (the sorted that are tapered with a reversed flute on them - like these http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/5-PIECE-DAMAG ... 3cbdff2318) if its got a smaller hole as standard, I don't know!!! maybe its a different type of box than I have come across, I imagine the best bet for that would be to work out the size of the hole with a vernier and then tap it suit (if you find the size we can google the tap size), if its close enough to a bsp we will use bsp but if its not you could tap it to whatever size fits and then screw in a hollow bolt with the head removed (so a stud) and jubalee a hose to it,

timpaton
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by timpaton » Mon Jan 16, 2012 7:05 pm

Hi Tramp,

Thanks for the response, I'm still a bit new to this, so its a steep learning curve.

I will PM Rockwatt in due course, once I'm up and running.

I thought somebody might want to see photos so i took some with my digital camera. How do you upload them?

Tim

dan_2k_uk
I spend far too much time on here

Post by dan_2k_uk » Mon Jan 16, 2012 7:21 pm

Either use the attach box below the text box when you reply. Click choose file and locate it on your pc then select it and then write any comnents for it in the box bellow the choise fike box and click add file. This can be done multiple times to add more than one file to the same message.

Or use a image host such as photobucket.com and theb copy the IMG code into your reply where you want the image to appear.

Dan
Janspeed manifold, LWB Vit vented discs and calipers

Build thread -- Build photos -- HLA-Artwork
Coming soon: YJs, Trussed axles, Full float rear.

timpaton
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by timpaton » Mon Jan 16, 2012 8:23 pm

OK here goes
/Users/timpaton/Pictures/iPhoto Library/Masters/2012/01/16/20120116-202030/P1030031.JPG

timpaton
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by timpaton » Mon Jan 16, 2012 8:26 pm

ok how about this?
Attachments
P1030020.JPG
P1030020.JPG (499.06 KiB) Viewed 12168 times

timpaton
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by timpaton » Mon Jan 16, 2012 8:28 pm

so that was tbox1, with the flanges/pulleys removed. the vent thingy is left hand side in this pic, like a metal dust cap from a tyre

dan_2k_uk

Post by dan_2k_uk » Mon Jan 16, 2012 8:29 pm

Yeah that workpresume thats box 1 which looks normal to me
Janspeed manifold, LWB Vit vented discs and calipers

Build thread -- Build photos -- HLA-Artwork
Coming soon: YJs, Trussed axles, Full float rear.

timpaton
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by timpaton » Mon Jan 16, 2012 8:29 pm

heres a close up

timpaton
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by timpaton » Mon Jan 16, 2012 8:31 pm

here is a close up