Do not use 4 wheel drive on tarmac.

Starts at the flywheel, ends at the hubs, any problems along them lines, ask your questions here.
Charles
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Re: Do not use 4 wheel drive on tarmac.

Post by Charles » Fri Apr 03, 2020 4:39 pm

themac wrote:
Thu Nov 27, 2014 9:46 am
Does this include having the hubs in the "lock" position? I noticed when I brought my SJ home that she had been driven with one of the hubs in "lock" and one in "free" for God knows how long. I changed the oil on the diff and it doesn't seem like it has taken any damage, the side that hade been on "lock" I couldn't change back first but now after the oilchange and some WB40 on the knob itself it clicks in and out of place without any problems.

I have been wondering though, since not all SJ's was sold with manual hubs at all, if it is recomended to unlock them when you don't drive 4wd? I understand there being extra wear on the front axle and the oil there, but could it harm the axle?
The FWHs are primarily to save fuel, especially on short runs on cold days, when the oil in the diff is thick. On a longer run with the hubs locked, the oil would warm up through being constantly churned, which greatly reduces the consumption improvement.

Also as others have said, it reduces wear.

The hubs should be locked at least once every 1,000 miles for a few miles to keep everything nicely lubricated.

SherwoodNash
Winching along now
Winching along now

Post by SherwoodNash » Tue Apr 07, 2020 6:09 pm

Here is the official Suzuki 4x4 driving advice film in two parts.

https://youtu.be/hDvZbTo4lOQ
https://youtu.be/YPHyJ_gncVc

momo
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by momo » Sun Aug 30, 2020 6:43 pm

10 years ago I got a 1995 vitara which had never had the 4wd used, the manual front hub locks turned after some persuasion but there was no 4wd, eventually we removed them and freed them off, cleaned them up etc - was very easy to do - once cleaned and new grease in they moved and actually locked this time and have never failed since :)