Fuel tank sealer, any recommendations?

Engine not running right? see if we can help you!
villagehoppa
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Fuel tank sealer, any recommendations?

Post by villagehoppa » Mon Nov 06, 2017 9:21 pm

Hi Yowl, almost got all my parts together for the fuel tank/line swap, but any recommendations for tank sealer? The one from India has no coating I can see?!? There's a few out there but wondered if anyone had first hand experience in using some?! Also, anything else you would do/service with the tank out?!?... many thanks...

SherwoodNash
Winching along now
Winching along now

Re: Fuel tank sealer, any recommendations?

Post by SherwoodNash » Mon Nov 06, 2017 10:38 pm

Did mine last year, had to rush the job to get vehicle off the drive for an estate agents pic.

Would have prefered to coat it with some paint/underseal, not sure if the metal is rust proofed,
but comes with thick layer of I guess transport waxy grease, which I left on, and zero rust one year on.

Will probably get around to removing and sealing in the future, tho' one bad point is, my 410 version came with no drain plug, which would make that job easier.

villagehoppa
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by villagehoppa » Tue Nov 07, 2017 12:29 pm

Thanks for that, I should have explained properly, I was on about the inside of the tank!! I've seen it done a lot on motorbike tanks and wondered if anyone has done it on an SJ or does it even need it? The inside of the tank looks bare to me but probably with some sort of coating for transportation, not sure really!!! The outside is black though...

ScottieJ
The Boss
The Boss

Post by ScottieJ » Tue Nov 07, 2017 12:45 pm

The only reason you would need to coat the inside of the tank would be if you had water in there.....and well if you have water in there i think it being coated is the least of your worries :lol:

I have seen 30+ year old tanks that are perfect inside.
Zuki Build

Steady as she goes!

SherwoodNash
Winching along now
Winching along now

Post by SherwoodNash » Tue Nov 07, 2017 1:06 pm

Mine old one was perfect inside, I only had to remove the tank to replace a bad sender but damaged the outlet pipe,
so I bit the bullet for a new one, also replaced the rusted out tank guard with a refurbed one from andyrew.

villagehoppa
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by villagehoppa » Wed Nov 08, 2017 9:08 am

Great, thanks for that, saved me a few spondoolies too!!! :D Thanks again all....

villagehoppa
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by villagehoppa » Wed Nov 08, 2017 9:13 am

How much was a tank guard? Mine is pretty rusty too, where's the best place to get a new one and not cost the earth? Doesn't have to be heavy duty as I'll probably never go offload!!! :shock:

SherwoodNash
Winching along now
Winching along now

Post by SherwoodNash » Wed Nov 08, 2017 2:58 pm

I was lucky enough to find a good used one thru' the forum, I think it was less than 20 quid with postage, my old one was pretty bad.

Might be worth putting a request for one here in the wanted section?

Good Luck.

donkeychomp
I spend far too much time on here
I spend far too much time on here

Post by donkeychomp » Wed Nov 08, 2017 9:12 pm

POR-1 seals the inside of rusty bike tanks, 1 bottle normally does 2 tanks, it ain't cheap but it works. However on a car tank I kinda doubt you'll find rust inside if it's been on a car all it's life. If it ain't broke don't fix it lol.
If it ticks over...leave it