Swift gti (g13b) engine problem

Engine not running right? see if we can help you!
fozzie52
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Swift gti (g13b) engine problem

Post by fozzie52 » Thu Dec 27, 2018 9:31 pm

Hiya. Ive bought this old samurai with a swift gti engine in it that im planning on pulling out the engine and putting in my sj. Only issue is the engine doesnt run for more than a couple seconds. It starts lovely but after a couple of seconds it just stops like a stone. Makes me think its a breather or electrical issue... Any ideas?

https://youtu.be/9krBNEpSyEc if you wanna hear/see

Anton
I spend far too much time on here
I spend far too much time on here

Re: Swift gti (g13b) engine problem

Post by Anton » Fri Dec 28, 2018 6:36 pm

Fuel pump?

Immobiliser issue? (no idea if your ECU has an immo, just suggesting things to check)

You've obviously got spark, compression is probably ok, so either you have ECU issues or you have fuel issues. Having said that, it can't hurt to do a compression test, just in case, and pull the sparks (you have to anyway if you comp test) and drop in some new ones. Test your HT leads too, if you can, just to rule out bad spark (which I don't think this is, but you never know).

Actually, now I think about it, this *could* be a bad coil. Gives good spark for a couple of revolutions, then loses capacitance and drops voltage until it won't make spark anymore. So check your coil too, just in case.
1985 SJ413VX (SJ50V) with SPOA, rear disc brakes, 31x10.5R15 Kaiman Malatesta tyres, an MOT and a lot left to do!

My: Build thread To-do list Pay and Play map

ScottieJ
The Boss
The Boss

Re: Swift gti (g13b) engine problem

Post by ScottieJ » Fri Dec 28, 2018 11:43 pm

Thats an electrical issue I think, has the previous owner had it running? check the fuel pump and ecu relays, also make sure the fuel pump is working properly, could just be priming but then not pumping. As above it could maybe be an ignition issue as well.
Zuki Build

Steady as she goes!