SJ413 engine swap 8v or 16v with carbs

Engine not running right? see if we can help you!
p93
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

SJ413 engine swap 8v or 16v with carbs

Post by p93 » Tue Jun 18, 2019 6:06 pm

Hi
Hello to all help/advice would be appreciated
My 413 needs an engine rebuild/swap
options 1.6 8 valve or 1.6 16 valve
I have both, can the 16v be mad to run on carbs? I don't want to have to use the injection system, too much to do.
Currently the 413 has a weber which I would try to use. i also have a pair of 1.3/4" SUs which were on an old GT6 could one of them be made to work? I know an inlet manifold would need to be fabricated
Or is it best to stick to the 8v with the weber carb
The 413 is mainly used for touring in Spain or France with some off-roading in the mountains, nothing to extreme it has to get back home!
Any advice would be great before I go ahead.
Thanks
Gerry

Jordi
Bow down before me
Bow down before me

Re: SJ413 engine swap 8v or 16v with carbs

Post by Jordi » Wed Jun 19, 2019 8:28 am

Hi, the 16v can run on carbs, i have seen it done before on Twiss’ SJ (on the forum somewhere).

Personally i stuck with an 8v for simplicity. I run mine on an SU same as most, not sure how it will affect power and mpg but the 1.3 Webber will fit straight onto the 1600 8v. Possibly need tinkering with to set it right for the bigger engine.

Is the 1.6 8v you have out of a carb’d zuk or an SPI?

The spi engines had an in tank fuel pump and will need an electric fuel pump.

A few lads have now fitted the 16v with all the injection system and do say it’s worth the extra effort for benefits, mainly extra power.
1988 Samurai - Truck Cab & Tray Back - 1.6 8v & HIF44 - Snorkel - Stack Exhaust - PAS, YJs & 33s - Trussed, Gusseted & Pumpkin Capped Axles - 4.3 R&Ps - 4.16 T/Box - Rear Air Locker - Full Float Back Axle & Discs - RCV Front Shafts - X-Eng Handbrake - Custom Fuel Tank

p93
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by p93 » Wed Jun 19, 2019 11:53 am

Cheers its a carb version
My thinking was to use the 8v for simplicity so I think that's the way I will go.
Next is will the power steering move across as well if so how much agro. I have the whole car so all the bits are there.
Thanks

timwilks13
SCUK Website Padawan
SCUK Website Padawan

Post by timwilks13 » Wed Jun 19, 2019 8:42 pm

Shame you're not a bit closer, been after a 16v for a while now!

The power steering pump can go with the engine of course, but the the steering box has different mounts than the SJ. Two options are to use a jimny power steering box with your vit pump, or make an adapter wedge, have the drawing somewhere so will find it so you can see what I mean.
1986 SJ410 - Furry dice, new window winder.

10 kinds of people in this world, those who understand binary and those who dont.

if you can read this you're too close to the monitor, sit back and save your eyes!!
My build, formally Trotters build.

timwilks13
SCUK Website Padawan
SCUK Website Padawan

Post by timwilks13 » Wed Jun 19, 2019 8:43 pm

Didn't take long to find it.
vitPSwedge.jpg

10 kinds of people in this world, those who understand binary and those who dont.

if you can read this you're too close to the monitor, sit back and save your eyes!!

ScottieJ
The Boss
The Boss

Post by ScottieJ » Thu Jun 20, 2019 10:23 pm

16v with ijection, it's honestly not that hard to do the wiring and the results will be so much better in every way.
Zuki Build

Steady as she goes!

p93
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by p93 » Sun Jun 23, 2019 6:53 pm

Thanks for all the info.
Just mulling the alternatives overs.
Might try the SU conversion on the 8v before removing the engine and see how it goes, if I can find the SU carbs, they were last used 30 or so years ago!
Then there is the simple route the Weber on the existing manifold.
Krakow is a bit far to take an engine but it is still in the car a LWB auto with an MOT would make a great trip little while since I was in that neck of the woods and only the once.
The trouble is the 8v donor car is better that I thought, will have a good look under it tomorrow maybe that will decide.

timwilks13
SCUK Website Padawan
SCUK Website Padawan

Post by timwilks13 » Sun Jun 23, 2019 10:24 pm

Forgot my location is still set to Krakow lol, I'm in Scarborough.

See how you get on with your plans, if you decide you ever want to let the 16V go give me a shout!

p93
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by p93 » Sun Jun 30, 2019 7:21 pm

Scarborough. is a lot closer but so much fun will let you know re the 16v
The engine replacement moves on.
The Vitara has some nasty welding on it and I do not currently have time to undertake a long welding project. The Vitara is worth keeping so maybe later.
Power steering replacement can also wait.
Engine and block together.
The SJ has had more mods/bastardisations than I thought.
Total lack of any main fuses, or fuse links and stray wires that may or may not do anything.
Alternator is the rectangular plug type, the round plug Vitara type is the only one that will fit the adaptor kit (Waterbabies4*4)
On the old SJ alternator the supply cables for the battery yellow/white are off the two heavy spade connectors on plus a jumper between them and dissapear into the loom. They do not go straight the battery.
I assume the two yellow/white wires are connected to the bolt terminal on the Vitara alternator the white/red, ignition light and the a supply from the ignition make up the two connections in the round socket.
If this works I will let you know!
All being well with the conversion the SJ should be tooling around the Pyrenees end of September beging of October and back through France.
Thanks for all the info to date.