Ignition problems. from across the pond

Engine not running right? see if we can help you!
woodgatebeachbasher
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Ignition problems. from across the pond

Post by woodgatebeachbasher » Wed Aug 14, 2019 12:05 pm

Hi everyone,

I've spent the past 3 days trying to diagnose and fix a problem with my Suzuki Sierra with little progress. What do you guys think is buggered with this thing?

The car is a 1990 Suzuki Sierra JX. 1298cc G13BA Carby.
Vin is JSA05SJ70 000305762 im unsure how to break it down.
I starting to suspect the car has had a engine swap

A week ago i tried starting it and it just kept cranking over, it has fuel but no spark. I check all fuses and relays and cant find them/the 1 i can find isn't blown, I figured its old so i moved on, i then traced the no spark back to the ignition coil, it is looking pretty sad and wasn't producing a spark so i replaced it, spark plugs and the battery. Tested it and it still has no spark. So i thought i would look inside the distributor and test the Generator and Igniter. Here's where i'm stumped, i dont know how to test if the distributor is working and cannot find a Workshop manual that matches my wire colors or exact parts. On the link below i have followed the Ignitor test but i dont trust the FSM because things aren't matching.

Can someone either guide me to a working link to the FSM/wiring diagram or help solve this no spark issue.

helpful points are
the closest FSM i found is http://www.acksfaq.com/HTML/pdfs/1986-1 ... raiFSM.pdf
The coil will spark after i stop cranking and switch the key back to the On position, this causes the engine to shake slightly, seems like 1 signal of spark is firing a cylinder.
Generator has an acceptable resistance as per http://www.acksfaq.com/HTML/pdfs/1986-1 ... raiFSM.pdf
The Ignitor in the FSM is not accurate to my Ignitor, (link to mine below) can anyone confirm if i can still do the test on my Ignitor or will i need to find an accurate workshop manual? viewtopic.php?t=10902
My Ignition barrel colors are W/B, B/W, B/Y, W. Should i be taking these colors from the Ignition Barrel or the Loom?

Please help!!! I've never been so frustrated trying to find a free or paid workshop manual!

woodgatebeachbasher
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Re: Ignition problems. from across the pond

Post by woodgatebeachbasher » Thu Aug 15, 2019 6:47 am

Voltage update!

Battery reads 12.72v
10.23v at coil with Ignition On
8.9 - 9.3v at coil with Ignition Start (Cranking)
12.6 v at the Ignition barrel main power feed and drops to 11.62v at Ignition barrel once turned to On position

I doubled checked the Vin and i have added a 5 in by accident it should be JSA0SJ70 000305762.

timwilks13
SCUK Website Padawan
SCUK Website Padawan

Post by timwilks13 » Fri Aug 16, 2019 8:57 pm

Is there is little white ceramic resistor next to the coil?
1986 SJ410 - Furry dice, new window winder.

10 kinds of people in this world, those who understand binary and those who dont.

if you can read this you're too close to the monitor, sit back and save your eyes!!
My build, formally Trotters build.

woodgatebeachbasher
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by woodgatebeachbasher » Sat Aug 17, 2019 7:45 am

No, i don't think this model has one.

Darrell
Suzuki, will you marry me?

Post by Darrell » Sat Aug 17, 2019 9:02 am

Does sound like you may have the ignition circuit connected to the ACC position on the switch. This would stop it sparking when cranking but would resume after cranking which may be why it fires a little after trying. Don't know if this will help ..
Attachments
Suzuki SJ413 ignition switch (Jap).jpg
2005-GV 1600se, "Hell" What do I know!

Darrell

Post by Darrell » Sat Aug 24, 2019 9:49 am

A week on and nothing, think this is why I hardy bother posting, same for the other topic I replied to. Shame, really :thumbdown:
2005-GV 1600se, "Hell" What do I know!

acestu
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by acestu » Tue Oct 29, 2019 9:24 pm

Hi Darrell,

If it was mine I think I would be checking the imobilizer circuit, I bought a great pdf suzuki manual from Ebay for mine for £8 you need the right wiring diagram really, use your vin number to get the right manual from them, hope this helps

Stuart

Anton
I spend far too much time on here
I spend far too much time on here

Post by Anton » Wed Oct 30, 2019 10:26 pm

Darrell wrote:
Sat Aug 24, 2019 9:49 am
A week on and nothing, think this is why I hardy bother posting, same for the other topic I replied to. Shame, really :thumbdown:
Don't get too downhearted, mate. You're very well appreciated by me and many other older members, I've always thought that the club would be seriously worse off if you weren't around.

It's nice knowing that if I need anything wiring related, you and a couple of other longstanding members are there. So thanks for the hard work, Darrell, you're part of the backbone of SCUK.
1985 SJ413VX (SJ50V) with SPOA, rear disc brakes, 31x10.5R15 Kaiman Malatesta tyres, an MOT and a lot left to do!

My: Build thread To-do list Pay and Play map