Mk1 vit engine swap

Engine not running right? see if we can help you!
Rabid Rhino
Engaged 4wd low
Engaged 4wd low

Re: Mk1 vit engine swap

Post by Rabid Rhino » Thu Oct 17, 2019 4:27 pm

Scottie,
Thanks for that.
Do you have the specs on the adapter bushing ? All dimensions ?
I'll look for the J18 flywheel part number & post it if I find it.

Which Bellhousing for the 2.0 conversion ? 2.0 or 1.6 ? Will the 1.6 bellhouse fit onto the 2.0 block ? Same bolt patterns ?

ScottieJ
The Boss
The Boss

Post by ScottieJ » Thu Oct 17, 2019 10:11 pm

Sorry but I don't have any dimensions for the Bush, just a pic i found on the internet. It's a pretty simple part though if needed, O.d. to match the bearing in the flywheel. I.d. to match the input shaft of the 1.6, flange to stop it sliding through the bearing when the gearbox is mated up.

I need to look more into that set up though as I've got a 2wd x90/vit gearbox and J18 baleno flywheel to possibly use with one of my J20 engines. I have a few for various projects on the back burner.

The J18/20/23 all have the same bellhousing bolt pattern as the G16.

There is also the option of just swapping in the complete J20 and transmission from a GV, I'll measure up but the length is pretty much the same i think, you just need to convert over to the hydraulic clutch, not exactly hard to make a clutch master cylinder fit though, thats whats probably going in my Blue SJ mated to the twin transfer boxes once i get my lwb finished so i can take Blue off the road for its reshell and overhaul.
Zuki Build

Steady as she goes!

Mk1vit
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by Mk1vit » Wed Oct 23, 2019 9:13 am

How hard would it be to put a grand Diesel engine and box in .. anyone know ? :weld: :brows:

Anton
I spend far too much time on here

Post by Anton » Fri Oct 25, 2019 5:52 pm

I really doubt anyone is going to have much info on swapping in the GV diesel engines, they're not that great. They offer very little over the petrol GV's, they don't even really give better fuel economy, and the complexity/weight of them means they generally get ignored in favor of the J20.

If you google it, you'll find a fair number of J20 swaps. You won't find many diesel swaps (and the ones you find will be VW 1.9 TDI's and Peugeot XUD9TE swaps). Most people who've done diesel swaps into small zuks have said that the weight ruins them.

The J20 is an all alloy engine and similar in weight to the G16 you already have.
1985 SJ413VX (SJ50V) with SPOA, rear disc brakes, 31x10.5R15 Kaiman Malatesta tyres, an MOT and a lot left to do!

My: Build thread To-do list Pay and Play map

Mk1vit
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by Mk1vit » Wed Nov 13, 2019 12:43 pm

So I’ve got my mk1 2L Grand vit and will be starting the conversion soon fingers crossed it goes well.
I’ll keep updates and piks as I go incase anyone’s interested

Anton

Post by Anton » Wed Nov 13, 2019 4:08 pm

:thumbup:
1985 SJ413VX (SJ50V) with SPOA, rear disc brakes, 31x10.5R15 Kaiman Malatesta tyres, an MOT and a lot left to do!

My: Build thread To-do list Pay and Play map