Oil leaking from exhaust manifold downpipe join

Engine not running right? see if we can help you!
timwilks13
SCUK Website Padawan
SCUK Website Padawan

Oil leaking from exhaust manifold downpipe join

Post by timwilks13 » Mon Jan 06, 2020 8:11 pm

As the title explains really.

Started the car up for the first time in a few months the other day and it was running like a dog. Sounded like a misfire, then noticed smoking from the exhaust manifold and saw oil was leaking out of the exhaust manifold where its connected to the down pipe.

Taking it one step at a time, so pulled of the HT leads to check the plugs, and one lead came away without the end, figured thats the misfire issue so replaced with a new lead, still misfiring. Pulled all the plugs and the one that had been misfiring was covered in soot, presumably because it hasn't been firing, anyway cleaned it all up (cleaned other plugs too just to be safe), misfire gone, yay.

Oil leak still present though, still spurting out from the manifold/down pipe join. Took a video of the underside to check it wasn't leaking from anywhere else and running down.

Running it to my mates garage tomorrow to get it compression tested incase the head gasket has gone.

Anyone had a similar issue to this before? Its a new one to me.
1986 SJ410 - Furry dice, new window winder.

10 kinds of people in this world, those who understand binary and those who dont.

if you can read this you're too close to the monitor, sit back and save your eyes!!
My build, formally Trotters build.

ROBBIE
I spend far too much time on here
I spend far too much time on here

Re: Oil leaking from exhaust manifold downpipe join

Post by ROBBIE » Tue Jan 07, 2020 4:08 pm

It’s Knackered tim, bring it back here and I will take it off your hands ;)
Sid James gone but never forgotten
Jimny 1.6 not as good as an SJ but still good

timwilks13
SCUK Website Padawan
SCUK Website Padawan

Re: Oil leaking from exhaust manifold downpipe join

Post by timwilks13 » Tue Jan 07, 2020 4:22 pm

Ha sure, let me just make the 1500 mile trip in a knackered SJ, maybe all it needs is a good long drive out, who knows ;)
1986 SJ410 - Furry dice, new window winder.

10 kinds of people in this world, those who understand binary and those who dont.

if you can read this you're too close to the monitor, sit back and save your eyes!!
My build, formally Trotters build.