AISAN Carburetor will not idle

Engine not running right? see if we can help you!
rharris19880
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

AISAN Carburetor will not idle

Post by rharris19880 » Mon Apr 20, 2020 7:24 pm

Hi All

I took my 1983 SJ410 out of a 2 year hibernation for its MOT at the weekend.

The good news was she went thru just fine but she unfortunately will not idle. She has a carburetor with AISAN stamped on the side.
Attached below is a picture of the carburetor looking from above the engine bay straight down.

Does anyone has any suggestions on what could be the best starting point to investigate the issue.

Could anyone point me in the right direction for literature on this carb?

Are there rebuild kits out there or perhaps better can i buy a new replacement?

All guidance greatly appreciated.

Rich
Attachments
IMG_8732.jpg

donkeychomp
I spend far too much time on here
I spend far too much time on here

Re: AISAN Carburetor will not idle

Post by donkeychomp » Mon Apr 20, 2020 8:59 pm

Weber and SU carbs are a popular upgrade
If it ticks over...leave it

rharris19880
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by rharris19880 » Mon Apr 20, 2020 9:18 pm

Many thanks for the heads up. Are there any good links or threads to the weber conversion option?
I found "WEBER 32/36 DGV CARBURETTOR CONVERSION KIT SUZUKI 413 SAMURAI/SANTANA" on classic carbs uk website.
Not sure if this is any good as mine is a SJ410.

mk1joe
Winching along now
Winching along now

Post by mk1joe » Tue Apr 21, 2020 2:11 pm

I would try dismantling it and just giving it a thorough clean through. Stale petrol turns to varnish after it's been sitting for a long time and can clog up small idle jets. Brake cleaner/carb cleaner will work to dissolve and shift anything clogging up the small passage ways in the carburetor. And then if possible, compressed air is great at blasting the muck out.

ScottieJ
The Boss
The Boss

Post by ScottieJ » Wed Apr 22, 2020 5:31 pm

give the carb a good strip and clean, probably just a blocked jet or a stuck float.

Remove the plate to the right of the fuel input/float assembly and also remove the float assembly (3 screws)
Pop the pin out and remove float
Remove needle and clean but don't loose any of the bits ;) and give the fuel inlet a good blow through.
Remove 17mm bolt, drain carb and remove lower jet opposite give it a good blow through and clean.
Remove the upper jet, you might need a bit of wire to get it out, and give that a blow through
There is another jet under a screw just below the upper jet, but I never usually bother with this one as it can be hard to remove without damaging it and have never had any problems with it blocking, I would only remove it for a clean as a last resort!
give all the chambers a good clean and put it all back together.
Zuki Build

Steady as she goes!

ScottieJ
The Boss
The Boss

Post by ScottieJ » Wed Apr 22, 2020 5:33 pm

donkeychomp wrote:
Mon Apr 20, 2020 8:59 pm
Weber and SU carbs are a popular upgrade
it's a 410 not a 413 ;) There isn't a weber that fits and the HIF38 su isn't really an upgrade over a well set up stock carb in my opinion.
Zuki Build

Steady as she goes!

SherwoodNash
Winching along now
Winching along now

Post by SherwoodNash » Sat Apr 25, 2020 6:06 pm

That's weird as I had a similar problem with my 410 last week. After not driving for a couple of months due to lockdown, l ventured out to post some letters, only to realise the choke mechanism was stuck on even though the knob was free to move so I ended up having a nervous high revving trip there and back!
Yesterday I WD40'd all the choke linkages on the top of the carb and lightly greased. I pulled the choke in and out for a dozen times and now problem solved

Good luck with yours. 👍