Oil pressure

Engine not running right? see if we can help you!
Philpy
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Oil pressure

Post by Philpy » Thu Aug 20, 2020 9:37 pm

After many years of my samurai sitting, due to many factors including body off resto, I’ve recently got it running again. However after getting it started I noticed straight away the oil pressure light was on.
Turned it off and removed the sump to be greeted with thick sludge and solid grey lumps!
Didn’t have an issue before I tore the truck apart!

The oil pickup was clogged right up.

So cleaned the sump and oil pickup out and put back together. Now it starts and sounds fine, but after a min or 2 the oil light comes on again. (Not straight away like before)
Turn it off and on again and it’s fine for upto a min then light comes on?

I’ve changed the oil and filter at the same time!
Is if knackered? Anything else worth trying before condemning it?

ScottieJ
The Boss
The Boss

Re: Oil pressure

Post by ScottieJ » Thu Aug 20, 2020 9:54 pm

I think you will be very lucky for there to be no internal damage after running with minimal oil pressure, it can literally take minutes to destroy the camshaft and head with no oil pressure.
Zuki Build

Steady as she goes!

Larry
Engaged 4wd low
Engaged 4wd low

Re: Oil pressure

Post by Larry » Thu Aug 27, 2020 12:57 pm

I accidentally did something similar once, except in my case it was purely my fault, I was sure I had checked the oil level but obviously hadn't. Started it up and ran for maybe 30 seconds max before I seen the light. I was fuming! :argh:

I pulled the cam cover and sump off to inspect as best I could without disassembling bearings etc. Everything that I could see looked ok.

I changed the oil and filter and gave the top end a good dowsing in oil and turned over by hand before refitting the cam cover and it's now running ok, but who knows, it may have caused damage that will present itself sooner than expected somewhere down the line - a wiped main or big end bearing etc.

Just thought I would mention this as there is some hope it may be ok!