SJ 410 Engine, Help Please

Engine not running right? see if we can help you!
border
Engaged 4wd low
Engaged 4wd low

Re: SJ 410 Engine, Help Please

Post by border » Mon Nov 09, 2020 1:19 pm

maxaret wrote:
Mon Nov 09, 2020 12:58 pm
border wrote:
Mon Nov 09, 2020 12:05 pm

Will try tonight with belt loosened, is it a case of new Alternator if it is Bearing ? It is Quiet on first start up, takes about 10 minutes before noise starts. Thanks
I would probably remove belt and see what the alternator bearings 'feel' like,if they are worn they may feel 'rough' or there might be play on the shaft,sometimes a fast spin by hand can be useful.Many years ago I had a water pump which got very noisy from worn bearings,might be worth having a look/feel of the water pump bearings as well if easy enough access.
If still not sure a stethoscope can be used to pinpoint noise but obviously you have to be careful not to have any loose clothing/scarf/tie/fingers dangling anywhere near rotating parts with engine running.
Thanks Mate will give it a go

border
Engaged 4wd low
Engaged 4wd low

Post by border » Mon Nov 09, 2020 7:41 pm

Took belt off and ran engine, noise dissapeared, the bearing does have a litle noise when spinning by hand in Vid, ignore the noise at start is my elbow hitting something, https://youtu.be/AJypNpeXevw. Thought I had a new belt to try but looks like the wrong one .
As for smoke, ran it foe a god half hour before I had to get out for the fumes :D still smokey. It starts first time and sounds ok took oil cap off and whitish sludge, in pic not sure if its head gasket or not, but Temp Gauge does not go up high and does not loose any Water or Oil at all.
Waiting for a mechanic mate to come and have a look.
Just about ready for MOT then find these problems.
Attachments
IMG_20201109_172019.jpg
IMG_20201109_170649.jpg

maxaret
Can I have a tow
Can I have a tow

Post by maxaret » Tue Nov 10, 2020 8:54 am

Hi Border
There is always some noise from alternators (brushes etc) whilst spinning by hand,what do the bearings feel like when slowly turned ? and any signs of play ?
Hopefully your mechanic friend can give you a few answers - it is always a wee bit more difficult trying to help via websites.
keeping fingers crossed for you.

lundigee
Engaged 4wd low
Engaged 4wd low

Post by lundigee » Tue Nov 10, 2020 9:44 am

If the SJ has been standing for sometime, been jet washed, short runs only it is probably a build up of condensation, if temperature and water level are staying the same. Once warmed up beads of water on dipstick could indicate a head gasket problem. Has the oil been changed since you acquired the SJ? A pressure test could tell you a lot, or put your mind at rest.

There is a slight squeak on the alternator, difficult to tell, possibly a dry bearing warms up over 10 minutes to get noisy. What was your verdict on the water pump bearing, any movement. Wondering if the thermostat opening after 10 minutes would influence the sound.

Would be interested to know the outcome, sounds like your close to being on the road.

border
Engaged 4wd low
Engaged 4wd low

Post by border » Tue Nov 10, 2020 10:13 am

maxaret wrote:
Tue Nov 10, 2020 8:54 am
Hi Border
There is always some noise from alternators (brushes etc) whilst spinning by hand,what do the bearings feel like when slowly turned ? and any signs of play ?
Hopefully your mechanic friend can give you a few answers - it is always a wee bit more difficult trying to help via websites.
keeping fingers crossed for you.
Thanks Mate.

border
Engaged 4wd low
Engaged 4wd low

Post by border » Tue Nov 10, 2020 10:16 am

lundigee wrote:
Tue Nov 10, 2020 9:44 am
If the SJ has been standing for sometime, been jet washed, short runs only it is probably a build up of condensation, if temperature and water level are staying the same. Once warmed up beads of water on dipstick could indicate a head gasket problem. Has the oil been changed since you acquired the SJ? A pressure test could tell you a lot, or put your mind at rest.

There is a slight squeak on the alternator, difficult to tell, possibly a dry bearing warms up over 10 minutes to get noisy. What was your verdict on the water pump bearing, any movement. Wondering if the thermostat opening after 10 minutes would influence the sound.

Would be interested to know the outcome, sounds like your close to being on the road.
Never been out on a run since it came , just round our little field never getting past second gear. dont know last time it actually has been. I have changed all filters and Oil, never been jet washed yet. Couldn't find where water pimp bearing was but will check.
Should I take it out for a run and go through the gears and give it a good warm up ?
Thanks for help so far Mate. really Appreciated .

border
Engaged 4wd low
Engaged 4wd low

Post by border » Tue Nov 10, 2020 7:01 pm

Well litlte bit of Progress , I Think. Went up tonight and took it out for the first time, this is the longest it has gone or been run since we got it, Could only go up and down the back streets as no MOT or Insurance yet. Got up to third gear everytime never tried 4th or 5th .
Anyway ran up and down streets like this for just over half hour till Temp went up, Got back to garage and let it Idle No Smoke as in first Vid, Revved it a few times and yes smoke but not excessive, Temp gauge never went past where it is on pic, No Water or Oil lost, Question is Is it OK ? or should I have ran it for longer ?
https://youtu.be/nqNX8w0Sdgk
https://youtu.be/k7pXqa0jciE
Attachments
IMG_20201110_171656.jpg

lundigee
Engaged 4wd low
Engaged 4wd low

Post by lundigee » Tue Nov 10, 2020 10:29 pm

I would say that sounds good, you still got that bit of squeak to finish off, but I would have no hesitation to do a bit of a trip with confidence. I would get legal and some fuel (if the gauge is still not working) and take it for a 'lockdown' trip out. All the best with the MOT.

border
Engaged 4wd low
Engaged 4wd low

Post by border » Tue Nov 10, 2020 10:37 pm

lundigee wrote:
Tue Nov 10, 2020 10:29 pm
I would say that sounds good, you still got that bit of squeak to finish off, but I would have no hesitation to do a bit of a trip with confidence. I would get legal and some fuel (if the gauge is still not working) and take it for a 'lockdown' trip out. All the best with the MOT.
Thanks Mate, Noticed another problem as I was moving, The speedo isnt working, forgot to have a look so will have to check the cable tomorrow,
Wont worry to much about the fuel gauge just yet will concentrate on MOT.
Thanks Everyone for help.
Kevin