Starting from cold, not starting from warm... SJ 413

Engine not running right? see if we can help you!
Svend
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Starting from cold, not starting from warm... SJ 413

Post by Svend » Tue Feb 23, 2021 7:42 pm

Hi. I've recently bought a beautiful 1986 Suzuki sj 413. I don't have much mechanical experience besides changing oil, alternator and that sort of minor issues. The previous owner made some tune-ups and fixes. Amongst other things, he switched the old crappy carb out for a weber and installed a manual butterfly choke.

It runs great, when it runs…

My issue is that I can't get it to start once it's warm. It always starts from cold conditions or after it has been turned off for minimum half an hour to an hour or so. This is especially annoying when filling it up with gas…

I can smell gas when I'm trying to start it right after it has been turned off. So I'm thinking that the issue might be a flooded engine. But if it's the engine getting flooded, then why does this keep happening, and how on earth do I avoid it? Could it be the carb? Or is there something entirely else wrong?

Some side info: Because of the crappy carb, the idling has been adjusted to be quite high. The battery needs to be changed aswell, but don't think that’s the problem since it always starts from cold.

Larry
Engaged 4wd low
Engaged 4wd low

Re: Starting from cold, not starting from warm... SJ 413

Post by Larry » Tue Feb 23, 2021 8:02 pm

If it's running really rich it may run ok whilst cold but then flood the engine when trying to start hot. What do the park plugs look like after a decent run out? If it's rich they will be covered in black soot.

Larry
Engaged 4wd low
Engaged 4wd low

Post by Larry » Tue Feb 23, 2021 8:06 pm

DavidB
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by DavidB » Fri Feb 26, 2021 10:27 am

A carburettor has to run spot on, otherwise adjusting things will throw something else out. I learnt to leave it alone if it runs well - I had a mk1 Subaru Justy and for some reason I had to start messing round with the carb and it never ran again.
1984 Suzuki SJ410V

Svend
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by Svend » Wed Mar 03, 2021 8:38 pm

All right. I'll check the spark plugs next time the problem occurs and keep my hands off the carburettor. Thank you so much

ScottieJ
The Boss
The Boss

Post by ScottieJ » Fri Mar 05, 2021 2:21 pm

viewtopic.php?f=13&t=3104 take a read of this thread, the Webers are pretty easy to rejet and tune, there's all the info you will need to get it running right.
Zuki Build

Steady as she goes!