Engine won't fire up

Engine not running right? see if we can help you!
RichyP
Engaged 4wd low
Engaged 4wd low

Engine won't fire up

Post by RichyP » Mon Mar 15, 2021 1:10 pm

After months of short runs and having old fuel in the car for so long a engine management light came on. I dropped the oil, drained fuel and coolant then put all new filters oil and fuel back in as it needed a service anyway. Tried firing it up and no luck, cracked the injectors thinking there could be an airlock and nothing coming out of the injectors. Fuels getting to the filter so I don't think there's a problem with the pump or wouldn't have thought it would reach the filter? Timing belt fine and all other belts turning as they should so thinking its definitely fuel related maybe glow plugs? Temptation is there to use easy start but don't want to really go down that path unless I have to. Any ideas or suggestions greatly appreciated hoping its something simple I've missed.

Larry
Engaged 4wd low
Engaged 4wd low

Re: Engine won't fire up

Post by Larry » Mon Mar 15, 2021 3:10 pm

So it was starting ok before the service? If so, it's unlikely the glow plugs will have stopped working suddenly, unless they are disconnected?

It sounds like air lock if there's nothing at the injector.

d_r_1989
Winching along now
Winching along now

Post by d_r_1989 » Mon Mar 15, 2021 8:29 pm

Is this an engine that you can crack the injectors off to bleed fuel through? Normally what id do when my transit was run dry. Although my sprinter i had to keep turning over and it eventually fired.

RichyP
Engaged 4wd low
Engaged 4wd low

Post by RichyP » Mon Mar 15, 2021 8:52 pm

Larry wrote:
Mon Mar 15, 2021 3:10 pm
So it was starting ok before the service? If so, it's unlikely the glow plugs will have stopped working suddenly, unless they are disconnected?

It sounds like air lock if there's nothing at the injector.
Forgot to say the engine cut out on me less than a mile from home, started it up that's when the engine management light came on. Started up 1st time fine and drove back. Didn't drive it after this and got all the usual service bits but once I'd done this didn't matter how many times I'd tried cranking it no joy. I think it's an airlock but not sure where?

RichyP
Engaged 4wd low
Engaged 4wd low

Post by RichyP » Mon Mar 15, 2021 8:55 pm

d_r_1989 wrote:
Mon Mar 15, 2021 8:29 pm
Is this an engine that you can crack the injectors off to bleed fuel through? Normally what id do when my transit was run dry. Although my sprinter i had to keep turning over and it eventually fired.
Yes you can crack the injectors off on this, when the engine wouldnt fire up after a few attempts thought doing this would solve it but no joy. Only other thing I can think of is that there's a blockage from the outlet of the filter to the fuel rails feeding the injectors maybe?

d_r_1989
Winching along now
Winching along now

Post by d_r_1989 » Mon Mar 15, 2021 10:55 pm

Is it a filter insert in a housing or a stand alone filter? I remember an issue like this years ago, the plastic filter housing had a hairline crack and wouldnt start after filter change, constantly sucking air up

d_r_1989
Winching along now
Winching along now

Post by d_r_1989 » Mon Mar 15, 2021 11:05 pm

Is it a filter insert in a housing or a stand alone filter? I remember an issue like this years ago, the plastic filter housing had a hairline crack and wouldnt start after filter change, constantly sucking air up

maxaret
Engaged 4wd low
Engaged 4wd low

Post by maxaret » Tue Mar 16, 2021 10:24 am

Do you have a hand priming bulb or pump Richy ?I am not 'au fait' with this particular engine.
On my older diesels I used to switch ign 'on' and then used the hand primer to get fuel through the system.

On a later car without a hand primer I once used a cheapish pattern fuel filter and ended up with starting problems,I then fitted a really good quality filter and all was ok - that problem had definitely been caused by air ingress through the filter connection seals.

If all else fails - might be worth checking if the fuel shut off solenoid is working ok and does not have a loose/damaged wire etc.

maxaret
Engaged 4wd low
Engaged 4wd low

Post by maxaret » Tue Mar 16, 2021 10:26 am

Also are you getting any fault codes ??

RichyP
Engaged 4wd low
Engaged 4wd low

Post by RichyP » Tue Mar 16, 2021 7:26 pm

maxaret wrote:
Tue Mar 16, 2021 10:24 am
Do you have a hand priming bulb or pump Richy ?I am not 'au fait' with this particular engine.
On my older diesels I used to switch ign 'on' and then used the hand primer to get fuel through the system.

On a later car without a hand primer I once used a cheapish pattern fuel filter and ended up with starting problems,I then fitted a really good quality filter and all was ok - that problem had definitely been caused by air ingress through the filter connection seals.

If all else fails - might be worth checking if the fuel shut off solenoid is working ok and does not have a loose/damaged wire etc.
Hi maxaret currently on a block of shifts but will investigate the fuel solenoid on my next day off hadn't thought of that one 👍 it's a pump on my model engine. Haven't had chance to get a fault reader on it yet but could borrow one from someone I know might shed some light on the problem