Water Pump Manufacturer Recommendations ?

Engine not running right? see if we can help you!
maxaret
Can I have a tow
Can I have a tow

Water Pump Manufacturer Recommendations ?

Post by maxaret » Sun Jun 20, 2021 7:01 pm

I am thinking of replacing the Cambelt/Timing Belt on our 2005 Grand Vitara 1600.
There are many makes of Water Pump to choose from - any recommendations or makes to avoid please ?

maxaret
Can I have a tow
Can I have a tow

Re: Water Pump Manufacturer Recommendations ?

Post by maxaret » Tue Jun 29, 2021 9:32 pm

Because our 2005 G Vitara has only done 43,000 miles I was hoping to get away with the water pump change,but after removing the rad shroud and timing cover,the water pump bearings felt very 'iffy' so in the end I got a Blue Print Pump from Ebay.
Of course I chose the hottest day of the year to do the work (24 deg c) .
So today I fitted the water pump and a Gates Timing Belt + Tensioner.
She is all back together - just need to get some antifreeze/coolant - which is a bit of a minefield for older jap cars.
I might try to pick up some Honda Type 2 coolant which I think should be ok for the old girl.

maxaret
Can I have a tow
Can I have a tow

Post by maxaret » Tue Jun 29, 2021 9:57 pm

Because there was a 4 day gap between removing the water pump and fitting the new one I used the old trick of pushing the bolts through a cardboard representation of the waterpump so that I did not have to remember the bolt locations etc.
I another lifetime I worked on Harriers (and other aircraft) and we used the cardboard technique as a standard way of storing bolts etc,some large components could have many different length fasteners LOL.

maxaret
Can I have a tow
Can I have a tow

Post by maxaret » Wed Jun 30, 2021 8:10 pm

Picked up a couple of 5Ltr containers of Honda Type 2 Coolant this morning.
At £19 for 5Ltr it was cheaper than (say) the Comma Coolant from (say) Halfords LOL.
All refilled and been out for 3 runs to try and establish/stabilise the coolant level,we live on a slight slope so have parked facing uphill tonight to see if that will get rid of any more air in the system.