Cooling Problem Grand Vitara 2l petrol 52 plate

Engine not running right? see if we can help you!
CammieF
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Cooling Problem Grand Vitara 2l petrol 52 plate

Post by CammieF » Wed Jan 05, 2022 10:15 am

Hi folks I'm new here and I'm at my wits end with the Vitara. I acquired the vehicle from the wife's cousin. It was dry stored for around 3 years. Got it through the Mot no problem, it's done 75k. It's started overheating after a week of running fine. Pulled off the water pump it seems fine, no play, impeller looked fine. Put it back on, put in a new thermostat, still over heating. Stuck in a new radiator as the old one looked bad, still no joy. Tried all the usual squeezing pipes and tricks for air locks etc. Took the thermostat out and it stopped over heating but I checked to day to see if the pump was working, I pulled off the wee hose that runs across the front of the engine to the manifold and no water squirted out when the engine was running. Is the pump knackered? Any help would be greatly appreciated as the missus is moaning about it (it's her truck really LOL). Cheers guys

maxaret
Engaged 4wd low
Engaged 4wd low

Re: Cooling Problem Grand Vitara 2l petrol 52 plate

Post by maxaret » Thu Jan 06, 2022 2:44 pm

Hi Cammie
I am not au fait with the J20A ? engine.
I would have thought that coolant would piss out of any open pipes on the output side of the water pump.
Has the engine always had anti freeze in the cooling system ? If not maybe the engine could do with a flush (maybe you have done it already ?)
How strong is the anti freeze mix ? it is possible to get engine overheating in very cold ambient temps if weak or no anti freeze present in radiator,the bottom of the rad can get so cold that it can ice up and prevent flow (I don't know if it has been very cold up north - I assume so).
Also if the cooling system hoses are old and weak they can collapse when hot.I also guess even hoses can get clogged if the cooling system gets 'furry' from rust.

rgds max