engine swap, vitara gearbox?

Engine not running right? see if we can help you!
vitara_mad
Engaged 4wd low
Engaged 4wd low

Re: engine swap, vitara gearbox?

Post by vitara_mad » Thu Sep 15, 2011 10:11 pm

im thinking of doing the sj transfer box conversion on my vitara just a couple of things im not sure on

does the blanking plate need to be 4mm or can it be thicker as could use some 10mm alloy plate if it will be ok to use 10mm ???

do i need to replace the bearing & seal with ones with the same outer size but internal needs to be the size of the sj prop end ???

atb richard

ScottieJ
The Boss
The Boss

Post by ScottieJ » Thu Sep 15, 2011 11:01 pm

vitara_mad wrote:im thinking of doing the sj transfer box conversion on my vitara just a couple of things im not sure on

does the blanking plate need to be 4mm or can it be thicker as could use some 10mm alloy plate if it will be ok to use 10mm ??? yep I don't see why you can't use 10mm ally

do i need to replace the bearing & seal with ones with the same outer size but internal needs to be the size of the sj prop end ???
yes that's correct, says it inbetween two of the pics earlier in the thread :thumbup:

atb richard
Zuki Build

Steady as she goes!

vitara_mad
Engaged 4wd low
Engaged 4wd low

Post by vitara_mad » Thu Sep 15, 2011 11:08 pm

ScottieJ wrote:
vitara_mad wrote:im thinking of doing the sj transfer box conversion on my vitara just a couple of things im not sure on

does the blanking plate need to be 4mm or can it be thicker as could use some 10mm alloy plate if it will be ok to use 10mm ??? yep I don't see why you can't use 10mm ally

yes that's correct, says it inbetween two of the pics earlier in the thread :thumbup: shame it did not say anything about the circlip behind the seal holding the gear into the bearing though i found out when i tryed to press the gear out using a press & ended up breaking the case :hahaha:

atb richard

ScottieJ
The Boss
The Boss

Post by ScottieJ » Fri Sep 16, 2011 9:19 am

Bugger :lol: Sorry it wasn't me who did that write up!

If you need another Vitara Tcase I have one I need to get rid of £15 + shipping and it's yours!
Zuki Build

Steady as she goes!

vitara_mad
Engaged 4wd low
Engaged 4wd low

Post by vitara_mad » Sat Sep 17, 2011 12:51 am

ScottieJ wrote:Bugger :lol: Sorry it wasn't me who did that write up!

If you need another Vitara Tcase I have one I need to get rid of £15 + shipping and it's yours!
yes i know it was not your write up & we live & learn by our mistakes :hahaha:

thanks for the offer of the transfer box i will let you know if i need it as got a mate looking through his pile of spares as he thinks he might have one

Didier03
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Re: engine swap

Post by Didier03 » Tue Feb 18, 2020 8:44 am

ScottieJ wrote:
Tue Nov 23, 2010 12:51 pm
here's roughly how to use a vit gearbox in an sj with the sj tcase! shamelessly stolen from another forum (hope you dont mind baloo) It looks like quite a lot of work to make it all fit and work though :mrgreen: I'm not even sure if baloo ever got it finished????

remove vit transfer case from gearbox

remove all the black bolts from the tcase to take of the front section

pull this bearing and shaft out and replace with a bearing of the same outer diameter (72mm) but with a smaller internal diameter (32mm I think)

you also need to swap the oil seal for one that fits the sj to transfer box prop.

Rachat de crédit plus trésorerie
make a blanking plate out of 4mm steel/ally

You'll need to shorten the intermediate prop as well as modify the gearbox crossmember to sit the gearbox lower.

Or you could go the traditional route :
*413 gearbox, flywheel & clutch
*adapter plate (from muddyzook)
*skinny starter (or grind the block/starter)
*modified engine mounts
*possibly the 413 sump and oil pick up modded to fit (I didn't need this when i did mine though??)

I think thats everything???
Hi, speaking of this at the moment I have a problem with my sump and my oil collection, I tried everything but it was in vain