New setup , leafs, axles , wheels

Post your questions about your suspension and steering problems here!
lukey4x4
Can I have a tow
Can I have a tow

New setup , leafs, axles , wheels

Post by lukey4x4 » Mon May 14, 2018 11:16 pm

Hi guys so after abit of help / info on my sj , so its a sj410 with 1.6 vit engine 31" tyres , currently ungoing a suspension and axle upgrade , i am putting 1995 samurai axles on with spoa axles came with 2" nearly new leaf springs on the rear , so my plan is to leave the 2" springs on the rear and buy some 2" for the front after having a little read was looking at the RUF idea but only bolt on setups would do , would i need to buy longer shackeks , if anyone has any help/ info be great , also i wanted to put 33" on as i already have 15x10 rims in garage so peoples thoughs be a massive help , thanks

lukey4x4
Can I have a tow
Can I have a tow

Re: New setup , leafs, axles , wheels

Post by lukey4x4 » Thu May 17, 2018 5:49 pm

Anyone got any ideas whats the best way to go with the front suspension , thanks

Anton
I spend far too much time on here
I spend far too much time on here

Re: New setup , leafs, axles , wheels

Post by Anton » Sat Jun 16, 2018 11:45 pm

I've tried every kind of lift on an SJ. Body lift. Shackle lift. SPOA.

Body lift with shackle lift was first. It was all kinds of terrible. ALL KINDS. Lift shackles are the worst idea in the universe. I'm built like the proverbial outhouse of bricks, and I could barely turn the steering wheel when on tarmac at parking speeds - both hands on the left hand side of the wheel, pulling down, I could barely turn the wheel.

This is because the shackle lift screws up the caster angle and means you're not just turning the wheels anymore, but actually trying to lift the vehicle slightly too.

Took the shackle lift out, went SPOA. Very tippy, so pulled out the body lift (which wasn't needed at that point anyway). SPOA is far better than shackles, but still a bit too high for offroading (as soon as you're off-camber, it wants to go over - I've put her on her side more than once - one time while out with the Hilux club boys, I gave myself a concussion and dislocated my passenger's shoulder).

So now the SPOA is coming out and going back to SPUA, and gonna have the arches cut to fit the tyres. That would be my suggestion to you - it's better (imo) in every possible way. SPOA also killed my leaf springs. Axle wrap is *baaaad* with SPOA.
1985 SJ413VX (SJ50V) with SPOA, rear disc brakes, 31x10.5R15 Kaiman Malatesta tyres, an MOT and a lot left to do!

My: Build thread To-do list Pay and Play map