Coil Sprung SJ Chassis

Post your questions about your suspension and steering problems here!
HuwJones
Engaged 4wd low
Engaged 4wd low

Coil Sprung SJ Chassis

Post by HuwJones » Sun Oct 19, 2014 11:07 am

Recently I was diagnosed with something that gets worse when I drive along bumpy roads (The vibrations causing my internals to batter each other!) This is a particular worry to me as I was half way through rebuilding my SJ when I got diagnosed and I'm worried now that I would spend all of this money rebuilding it only to find when I drive it it's causing my problem to get worse.
I saw on eBay (last week I think) someone had converted the suspension of a SJ 410 to coil springs. I think that it would be ideal for me as I get to keep the SJ and have a comfortable ride. After studying the photographs I think it's something I could do pretty easily. My question is, if I spend some money rebuilding a spare chassis I have to coil sprung, I presumably will need it to be tested by VOSA and cost an arm and a leg?
Thanks
Huw
There's three ways of doing things,
1) The Right Way,
2) The Wrong Way
3) My Way.
2 & 3 are usually the same.

twiss
SCUK Computer Wizard
SCUK Computer Wizard

Re: Coil Sprung SJ Chassis

Post by twiss » Sun Oct 19, 2014 11:19 am

Yeah it would all need to be checked... probably an IVA or SVA test, I forget which one it is...
When I get out to malta I may get a coily samurai and see if I can make it work in a comfortable manner
Twiss

'93 Suzuki Samurai Sport 1.6 16v SU. Virtual lift, spring under, 31s
'93 Maruti Gypsy MG410

"If brute force doesn't fix your problem, you aren't using enough of it."

dan_2k_uk
I spend far too much time on here

Post by dan_2k_uk » Sun Oct 19, 2014 11:42 am

Bit of a grey area. I was reading up on it the other day and from my interpretation of what is classed as modifying the chassis it is probably possible but would be a pain.

There's no info on what they class as an original axle that's where you may lose the points you need to retail original vehicle identity.
Janspeed manifold, LWB Vit vented discs and calipers

Build thread -- Build photos -- HLA-Artwork
Coming soon: YJs, Trussed axles, Full float rear.

twiss
SCUK Computer Wizard
SCUK Computer Wizard

Post by twiss » Sun Oct 19, 2014 11:47 am

From the DVLA website

I think when you start modifying the chassis it counts as a "radically altered vehicle"
Attachments
2014-10-19 11_47_31-Vehicle registration - GOV.UK - Opera.png
2014-10-19 11_47_31-Vehicle registration - GOV.UK - Opera.png (56.05 KiB) Viewed 8239 times
Twiss

'93 Suzuki Samurai Sport 1.6 16v SU. Virtual lift, spring under, 31s
'93 Maruti Gypsy MG410

"If brute force doesn't fix your problem, you aren't using enough of it."

dan_2k_uk

Post by dan_2k_uk » Sun Oct 19, 2014 12:11 pm

Only if you shorten it or remove a cross brace.

You are free to add cross members or mounting brackets within the original confines of the chassis.

dan_2k_uk

Post by dan_2k_uk » Sun Oct 19, 2014 12:20 pm

VOSA Clarification on Body/Chassis points rules

Some of you will have taken the time to find the rules that govern how much you are allowed to modify your vehicle before its identity is called into question.

Whilst the 8 points system has been in place for at least 27 years (in its current form) DVLA have been sadly remiss in making the guidelines relating to car modifying known to those that it affects.

We will shortly be adding articles to show how the system works in relation to various vehicles but this is the description as published by DVLA.

Rebuilt vehicle 8 points system

An existing vehicle uses a similar system

The guidelines shown above are not specific about their application.

ACE have attempted to clarify certain areas that go to the very root of a car’s identity, and how much you are allowed to modify the chassis or monococque, before you lose the 5 points it represents.

We have been liasing with both DVLA and VOSA to clarify this area.

VOSA have provided the following response to your questions;

Chassis.

Q) What is classed as chassis? Is it purely the outer longitudinal rails or are the crossmembers between these also a part of the chassis?

A) Chassis should be taken to include crossmembers.

Q) We know that cutting or shortening a chassis is classed as modification but is this relative to the vehicle wheelbase i.e. the chassis must remain uncut between the 2 axles but anything forward of front or aft of rear suspension mounts can be removed?

A) Chassis includes the full original length of the longitudinal members including to the front of the front axle and to the rear of the rear axle.

Q) Is it acceptable to remove bodymounts, which contribute no strength to the chassis when changing a body to a different style /make?

A) Yes, providing they are additional to and are not an integral part of the chassis structure.

Q) Is it acceptable to strengthen a chassis by the addition of boxing plates a process that involves turning a 3-sided open chassis rail into a fully enclosed ‘box’ chassis?

A) Yes, providing the original structure remains unchanged.

ACE felt that further clarification was needed from VOSA so we sent more questions.

The following responses are from the VOSA Press Office:-

The answers to our chassied vehicle rules queries seem mainly straightforward, However, we have further questions based on the answers supplied.

Q) As chassis strengthening is allowed, are we correct in assuming that additional crossmembers would also be allowed?

A) It is important that the original chassis structure is retained unmodified, and while it is acceptable to strengthen areas and include additional brackets or crossmembers, It would be limited to additions within the existing chassis frame structure. Additional chassis structures, i.e. extending the outward parameters of the original chassis structure would be considered a modification.

So, to summarise the above information:

Chassis

It is acceptable to box original chassis and also to add additional crossmembers but not to alter the existing chassis in any way to allow for their installation.

It is acceptable to remove NON STRUCTURAL body mounts and engine / gearbox mounts.

It is NOT acceptable to shorten, or lengthen the chassis, either in between standard suspension points or fore and aft of these.

Any additional items welded creating a longer overall chassis are classed as modifications. It would however be acceptable to bolt a reasonably sized additional subframe to existing mounting holes.

Any outriggers (as opposed to continuous chassis frame) fore or aft from the chassis would need clarification from VOSA as to their purpose before removal or alteration was accepted. This would be based on their purpose and whether they formed part of the vehicles original Type Approval.

ScottieJ
The Boss
The Boss

Post by ScottieJ » Sun Oct 19, 2014 9:06 pm

The green one yeah? I wouldn't touch it! Needs loads of work. Pretty much all the suspension mounts need to be re-done and fabricated from scratch and if you look at one of the pics you can see a huge hole in the axle where the mount has tried to tear off.

My mate went to look at it and swiftly walked away.

Edit: whoops I didn't read your post properly, thought you was thinking about buying it.

But as above its quite a grey area. You can build a leaf spring set up that rides well and is comfortable.
Zuki Build

Steady as she goes!

HuwJones
Engaged 4wd low
Engaged 4wd low

Post by HuwJones » Sun Oct 19, 2014 10:07 pm

dan_2k_uk wrote:VOSA Clarification on Body/Chassis points rules

Some of you will have taken the time to find the rules that govern how much you are allowed to modify your vehicle before its identity is called into question.

Whilst the 8 points system has been in place for at least 27 years (in its current form) DVLA have been sadly remiss in making the guidelines relating to car modifying known to those that it affects.

We will shortly be adding articles to show how the system works in relation to various vehicles but this is the description as published by DVLA.

Rebuilt vehicle 8 points system

An existing vehicle uses a similar system

The guidelines shown above are not specific about their application.

ACE have attempted to clarify certain areas that go to the very root of a car’s identity, and how much you are allowed to modify the chassis or monococque, before you lose the 5 points it represents.

We have been liasing with both DVLA and VOSA to clarify this area.

VOSA have provided the following response to your questions;

Chassis.

Q) What is classed as chassis? Is it purely the outer longitudinal rails or are the crossmembers between these also a part of the chassis?

A) Chassis should be taken to include crossmembers.

Q) We know that cutting or shortening a chassis is classed as modification but is this relative to the vehicle wheelbase i.e. the chassis must remain uncut between the 2 axles but anything forward of front or aft of rear suspension mounts can be removed?

A) Chassis includes the full original length of the longitudinal members including to the front of the front axle and to the rear of the rear axle.

Q) Is it acceptable to remove bodymounts, which contribute no strength to the chassis when changing a body to a different style /make?

A) Yes, providing they are additional to and are not an integral part of the chassis structure.

Q) Is it acceptable to strengthen a chassis by the addition of boxing plates a process that involves turning a 3-sided open chassis rail into a fully enclosed ‘box’ chassis?

A) Yes, providing the original structure remains unchanged.

ACE felt that further clarification was needed from VOSA so we sent more questions.

The following responses are from the VOSA Press Office:-

The answers to our chassied vehicle rules queries seem mainly straightforward, However, we have further questions based on the answers supplied.

Q) As chassis strengthening is allowed, are we correct in assuming that additional crossmembers would also be allowed?

A) It is important that the original chassis structure is retained unmodified, and while it is acceptable to strengthen areas and include additional brackets or crossmembers, It would be limited to additions within the existing chassis frame structure. Additional chassis structures, i.e. extending the outward parameters of the original chassis structure would be considered a modification.

So, to summarise the above information:

Chassis

It is acceptable to box original chassis and also to add additional crossmembers but not to alter the existing chassis in any way to allow for their installation.

It is acceptable to remove NON STRUCTURAL body mounts and engine / gearbox mounts.

It is NOT acceptable to shorten, or lengthen the chassis, either in between standard suspension points or fore and aft of these.

Any additional items welded creating a longer overall chassis are classed as modifications. It would however be acceptable to bolt a reasonably sized additional subframe to existing mounting holes.

Any outriggers (as opposed to continuous chassis frame) fore or aft from the chassis would need clarification from VOSA as to their purpose before removal or alteration was accepted. This would be based on their purpose and whether they formed part of the vehicles original Type Approval.
:shock:

Thanks! Clears things up a bit :)
1) The Right Way,
2) The Wrong Way
3) My Way.

HuwJones
Engaged 4wd low
Engaged 4wd low

Post by HuwJones » Sun Oct 19, 2014 10:09 pm

ScottieJ wrote:The green one yeah? I wouldn't touch it! Needs loads of work.
I can't remember, I look at too many! The one I saw was in bits, the chassis was separated from the shell and painted grey on axle stands.

Huw
1) The Right Way,
2) The Wrong Way
3) My Way.

donkeychomp

Post by donkeychomp » Sun Oct 19, 2014 10:32 pm

The green one is on ebay for £1000 buy it now. No thanks. Doesn't have props, gearbox or engine. Someone has made a nice little SJ into a hunk of junk.
If it ticks over...leave it