Looking for a comfier ride on the road, does it exist?

Post your questions about your suspension and steering problems here!
Jazza
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Looking for a comfier ride on the road, does it exist?

Post by Jazza » Thu Sep 08, 2016 12:09 pm

Just wondering if anyone had any suggestions from experience on how to make a modded samurai a bit smoother on the road!

My rough set up is standard 1.3i engine (55Mph max :thumbup: ), SPOA, Shackle Reverse, lifted Trail Master springs, Pro Comp ES9000 shocks, 50mm Hub Trontic wheel spacers, 31x10.5r15 on 7" Daihatsu Fourtrak alloys, ect...

I am extremely happy with the road performance/stability of it, given that it has dramatically changed from its shock setup but it is almost unbearably hard on the bumps when on the smaller roads (main roads are fine but I live in the heart of Devon and don't see them often!)
I don't use it for to its full potential, I just love the look of it and occasionally cross rivers and play in muddy fields! :roll:

Pro Comp (cheap but spent I have all money on the other mods!) do four different models; ES1000(Cellular), ES3000(Cellular), ES6000(nitrogen) and ES9000(nitrogen). The reason I went for the ES9000 is because I thought it would effect body roll when cornering on road (atm, I can go around a fairly sharp corner at 50Mph and it feels solid)

Has anyone else run Pro Comp ES9000 shocks and then changed to others and found it made a difference on road to bumps or body roll?

Thanks in advance guys! :doublethumbs:

Jordi
Bow down before me
Bow down before me

Re: Looking for a comfier ride on the road, does it exist?

Post by Jordi » Thu Sep 08, 2016 12:42 pm

Yj spring conversion.
1988 Samurai - Truck Cab & Tray Back - 1.6 8v & HIF44 - Snorkel - Stack Exhaust - PAS, YJs & 33s - Trussed, Gusseted & Pumpkin Capped Axles - 4.3 R&Ps - 4.16 T/Box - Rear Air Locker - Full Float Back Axle & Discs - RCV Front Shafts - X-Eng Handbrake - Custom Fuel Tank

ScottieJ
The Boss
The Boss

Post by ScottieJ » Thu Sep 08, 2016 1:47 pm

9000 are well too stiff for a light SJ, I don't rate pro comp shocks but if I had to I would only run the ES1000

Lift springs are often harder than stock springs, tbh if you are spoa there's not really any need to run lift springs as well, stock springs will be just fine. Too much lift and you will start to eat through prop UJs.

It must sit really high with shackle reverse (usually +2") spoa (usually +4-5") and then lift springs on top of that. 6" lift is the absolute most I would ever run on an SJ but less is a lot better.
Zuki Build

Steady as she goes!

Jazza
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by Jazza » Thu Sep 08, 2016 2:15 pm

Yj spring conversion does sound pretty damn good but I have only just paid out on all my springs, my wife would kill me!

I must admit I was worried about UJ's, so I got some extended props to reduce the angle of them.

I am starting to I never got Pro Comp but I was on a tight budget, arrgh... so annoying!

It don't suppose anyone has a full set of Tailmaster Comfort shocks they want to sell me? :roll:

twiss
SCUK Computer Wizard
SCUK Computer Wizard

Post by twiss » Thu Sep 08, 2016 8:17 pm

I would get rid of the pro comps for sure. I ran 9000s and they are great for going flat out on gravel, but crap for everything else.
Go for some astra shocks they work pretty damn well and are much more comfy than the pro comps. Cheap too ;)
Twiss

'93 Suzuki Samurai Sport 1.6 16v SU. Virtual lift, spring under, 31s
'93 Maruti Gypsy MG410

"If brute force doesn't fix your problem, you aren't using enough of it."

Jazza
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by Jazza » Thu Sep 08, 2016 10:13 pm

Nice one Twiss, I will have a look into them now :D

twiss
SCUK Computer Wizard
SCUK Computer Wizard

Post by twiss » Thu Sep 08, 2016 10:39 pm

Bear in mind that they fit perfect on the front but you need to make an adapter bar to fit them on the back
They only come with a ring on one end and a bolt on the other. The rear shocks are ring both ends
Twiss

'93 Suzuki Samurai Sport 1.6 16v SU. Virtual lift, spring under, 31s
'93 Maruti Gypsy MG410

"If brute force doesn't fix your problem, you aren't using enough of it."