Powersteering conversion

Post your questions about your suspension and steering problems here!
lukey4x4
Can I have a tow
Can I have a tow

Powersteering conversion

Post by lukey4x4 » Wed Sep 14, 2016 7:32 pm

Alright guys well decided to do the powersteering conversion on the sj willbe pickin it up on saturday got a great deal so , i got the vitara box and all the pipes n pot , i understand i need some sort of wedge , does any one have one for sale or could make me one obvs. Would pay , i noticed there was a diagram one one kickin about but it was wrong someone said , , also the pipe work is it just as easy as routing the original pipework in the bay no modding it ? Thanks i already have the vitara engine and pump already instauld

Jordi
Bow down before me
Bow down before me

Re: Powersteering conversion

Post by Jordi » Wed Sep 14, 2016 8:33 pm

I used a jimny box as they bolt straight in.

The pipework is a bit of a pain as the vit or jimny sets are a mix of rubber and preformed steel pipes, designed to fit to the shape of the respective car.

I had a set of flexis made using the ends off the original pipes.
1988 Samurai - Truck Cab & Tray Back - 1.6 8v & HIF44 - Snorkel - Stack Exhaust - PAS, YJs & 33s - Trussed, Gusseted & Pumpkin Capped Axles - 4.3 R&Ps - 4.16 T/Box - Rear Air Locker - Full Float Back Axle & Discs - RCV Front Shafts - X-Eng Handbrake - Custom Fuel Tank

dan_2k_uk
I spend far too much time on here
I spend far too much time on here

Post by dan_2k_uk » Wed Sep 14, 2016 8:41 pm

Vitara pipes are easy to shorten by cutting a bit out and joining with a hydraulic compression coupling if they are clean and free from corrosion.
Janspeed manifold, LWB Vit vented discs and calipers

Build thread -- Build photos -- HLA-Artwork
Coming soon: YJs, Trussed axles, Full float rear.

lukey4x4
Can I have a tow
Can I have a tow

Post by lukey4x4 » Wed Sep 14, 2016 9:21 pm

Thanks lads yas no anyone that would make me a correct wedge ? Was it expensive jordi to get some flexi made up mate ? Is the any pics or threads on how to do this thanks guys

Jordi
Bow down before me
Bow down before me

Post by Jordi » Thu Sep 15, 2016 10:30 am

A5 hydraulics in Darlington did mine, £10 a pipe and took about 15mins.
1988 Samurai - Truck Cab & Tray Back - 1.6 8v & HIF44 - Snorkel - Stack Exhaust - PAS, YJs & 33s - Trussed, Gusseted & Pumpkin Capped Axles - 4.3 R&Ps - 4.16 T/Box - Rear Air Locker - Full Float Back Axle & Discs - RCV Front Shafts - X-Eng Handbrake - Custom Fuel Tank

lukey4x4
Can I have a tow
Can I have a tow

Post by lukey4x4 » Thu Sep 15, 2016 4:20 pm

Cheers jordi that spot on saves all the hassel lyk so the two pipes that come off the steering box u just just measured what length pipe u wanted n got them in flexi with the original ends on ? Thanks

Jordi
Bow down before me
Bow down before me

Post by Jordi » Thu Sep 15, 2016 5:14 pm

Yup. I just measured the distance with string and took my old pipes down. They cut the banjos off and made high pressure flexi pipes for me.

lukey4x4
Can I have a tow
Can I have a tow

Post by lukey4x4 » Thu Sep 15, 2016 7:35 pm

cheers Jordi al do that lyk theres just a unit that does them along the road from me so will get a price from them first thanks mate. do you know where the diagram is for the correct wedge , thanks

lukey4x4
Can I have a tow
Can I have a tow

Post by lukey4x4 » Sat Sep 17, 2016 7:15 pm

Jordi do you have any pics of your setup n how u routed them mate , thanks