Lift kits... advice

Post your questions about your suspension and steering problems here!
Builtnotbought
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Lift kits... advice

Post by Builtnotbought » Sun Oct 30, 2016 8:07 pm

So I wasn't sure of the best place to ask this because I know you can lift an sj in a few different ways, but I thought it would do.

If anyone has seen a thread on this already and wants to share it then thank you.

I pretty much want to know what peoples opinion on the different lift options there are. I currently have a completely standard ride height (assuming the parabolic leafs I just put on the front don't change it) and I want to go up a bit. I had originally planned on a SPOA conversion, but at least two people have said there is other and better things out there. I'm not keen on the shackle lift. I had it originally but took it back off.

Thanks in advance

and if anyone has a windscreen kicking about PLEASE let me know ASAP

Cheers

Slash
Slash

ScottieJ
The Boss
The Boss

Re: Lift kits... advice

Post by ScottieJ » Mon Oct 31, 2016 6:26 am

Before advising on suspension lift.

What size tyres do you want to run?

Do you mind modifying the body? I.e. Cutting and welding? that's if you haven't opened up the arches already while repairing the body?

Remember the bigger the tyres you go, the more you need to sort out the gearing, this isn't cheap but is a necessity.
Zuki Build

Steady as she goes!

Builtnotbought
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by Builtnotbought » Mon Oct 31, 2016 11:10 pm

Sort out the gearing how? change transfer box ratios??

I have already cut the arches back. it was such a no brained too do it I didn't realise it was a useful 'mod'
Just made sense because of where all the inner wheel arch tied up to the outer part of the wing

As for tyres, I have some on it... got them cheap about 10 years ago. Still in good condition and have stayed inflated over the last year and a bit. No idea what size and make they are. I put them on it just before it got boxed into the garage.

ScottieJ
The Boss
The Boss

Post by ScottieJ » Tue Nov 01, 2016 12:28 pm

You can get different ratio gearsets for the transfer box or re gear the diffs with ring and pinion sets, or do both.

Up to 33" tyres you can get away with just doing the tbox, 33" and above then it's best to do both.

TBH the tyres you have might not really be that great, even kept inside 10 years is old for a tyre so i wouldn't be surprised if the rubber has gone hard and started to perish, I would be inclined to buy a new set, I've driven on old tyres before and they are lethal in the wet.

Basically there's no point lifting an SJ more than you need to, if the tyres you want fit and don't catch then you have enough height in the suspension.

Gone are the days of people building big high 4x4s that like to fall over. For offroading you want diff clearance, stability and flex with good approach and departure angles and enough breakover angle.

Personally I don't like to run more than 2" lift in the suspension, any more and you need to start messing with the steering, prop shafts and other things, either using some good lift springs, a spring conversion kit or a combo of both.

on this SJ It's been converted to run wrangler YJ springs, still SPUA, loads or arch work to clear the 33s and it's super capable, has good flex and is ridiculously stable, it only stands 5'10" tall to the roof, I've gained breakover angle in other ways, like raising the transfer box etc.

Most of my lift is in the tyres, here's it next to my father's old 410.
My lwb I'm building for laning and daily use will have YJs or hilux springs on the rear and then rear sj springs on the front to give around 2" lift, running 31" tyres.
Zuki Build

Steady as she goes!

SherwoodNash
Winching along now
Winching along now

Post by SherwoodNash » Tue Nov 01, 2016 12:52 pm

Scottie, your dad's SJ was* understated tasty :thumbup:

*I see it's SORN now, hope you or your dad still own it.

PS. Still interested in that spare LJ bib :D

ScottieJ
The Boss
The Boss

Post by ScottieJ » Tue Nov 01, 2016 1:40 pm

SherwoodNash wrote:Scottie, your dad's SJ was* understated tasty :thumbup:

My friend Adam aka Nylonadmiral on here now owns it, unfortunately it went through two owners between my father and Adam, wasn't looked after and ended up a bit of a mess, Adam has been working on it when he can though and it will be an awesome SJ when it's done 'again' :thumbup:

This is what my Father has now.
Zuki Build

Steady as she goes!

zook123
SCUK Addict
SCUK Addict

Post by zook123 » Tue Nov 01, 2016 5:56 pm

ScottieJ wrote:
SherwoodNash wrote:Scottie, your dad's SJ was* understated tasty :thumbup:

My friend Adam aka Nylonadmiral on here now owns it, unfortunately it went through two owners between my father and Adam, wasn't looked after and ended up a bit of a mess, Adam has been working on it when he can though and it will be an awesome SJ when it's done 'again' :thumbup:

This is what my Father has now.
If I remember correctly, your dad's old shell is on it's side and the chassis is becoming one with nature!
2002 Jimny O2 Ragtop
Safari Snorkel, Freewheeling Hub Conversion
Diff Breathers, G/Box and T/Box Breathers, 2in Suspension Lift
HD Recovery Points and Winch Plate
Kuhmo KL71 MT / Goodyear Wrangler AT

Wessex 4X4 Reponse - WE411
wessex4x4response.org.uk