Calmini 3" lift kit - UK equivalent?

Post your questions about your suspension and steering problems here!
buzzuki
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Calmini 3" lift kit - UK equivalent?

Post by buzzuki » Wed Jan 11, 2017 9:56 pm

Guys, I need to change the horrid 3" lift shackles on my 410 for proper suspension before I get bump-steer'd into an early grave.. I like the idea of a complete kit like the one from Calmini but I'm concerned about getting stung with import duty from the USA as the postage is already $289.76 so I was wondering if anyone over here does a similar complete kit with the springs, U bolts, bushes, drop pitman, bump stops, shocks, mounts etc etc..? I've had a Google about but can only turn up pricey spring kits.. Cheers, Buzz.

ScottieJ
The Boss
The Boss

Re: Calmini 3" lift kit - UK equivalent?

Post by ScottieJ » Thu Jan 12, 2017 9:07 am

What size tyres are you running? do the tyres clear without the shackles? if they are 29" or smaller they should fit with standard shackles with with some minor tweaks. I have 235/75r15s on one of mine on stock springs and shackles.

I wouldn't go for a calmini kit, the springs are stiff and shackle reverse isn't a great set up on a swb suzuki in my opinion.

tbh you don't really need more than 2" lift for much.

I would honestly make up your own set up rather than buying any of the kits around, you don't need a drop pitman if you stick to 2" lift and you can easily make your own bumpstop spacers out of some box section with 4 holes drilled. It's easy to find new U-bolts, normally around £65 a set.

some options are some 2" lift springs all round, again usually quite stiff.

YJ springs or early hilux front springs on the rear and sj rear springs up front, gives around 2" lift, rides comforatbly and flexes well, however you would need to do a bit of simple fabrication work to make adapters.

then just pick shocks and brakelines after the springs are on and you have flexed it up to see what lengths you need.
Zuki Build

Steady as she goes!

buzzuki
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by buzzuki » Thu Jan 12, 2017 10:31 pm

ScottieJ wrote:What size tyres are you running? do the tyres clear without the shackles? if they are 29" or smaller they should fit with standard shackles with with some minor tweaks. I have 235/75r15s on one of mine on stock springs and shackles.

I wouldn't go for a calmini kit, the springs are stiff and shackle reverse isn't a great set up on a swb suzuki in my opinion.

tbh you don't really need more than 2" lift for much.

I would honestly make up your own set up rather than buying any of the kits around, you don't need a drop pitman if you stick to 2" lift and you can easily make your own bumpstop spacers out of some box section with 4 holes drilled. It's easy to find new U-bolts, normally around £65 a set.

some options are some 2" lift springs all round, again usually quite stiff.

YJ springs or early hilux front springs on the rear and sj rear springs up front, gives around 2" lift, rides comforatbly and flexes well, however you would need to do a bit of simple fabrication work to make adapters.

then just pick shocks and brakelines after the springs are on and you have flexed it up to see what lengths you need.
Well the tyres are 265/70R15 which I guess are about 28/29" but they're road pattern and I need muds on there, ideally a bit narrower for what I do - anyway there isn't too much clearance with whatever shackles are on there (I was told +3" but I don't have any stock ones to compare with) but I'm guessing the 1988 leaves are worn out. I basically don't know where I am lift wise because I didn't do it, I usually buy stock cars and mod them myself but this one has such superbly rust free metalwork I couldn't say no.

The other issue is the handling, I'm used to battling with Special Tracks on lifted Defenders etc but this SJ beyond funny, most the way through dangerous, and heading towards lethal so I need to improve it asap. It feels like loose axles with donuts for wheel bearings and no castor on the front but I guess it's actually a combination of ruined steering geometry, worn out bushes and wobbly extended shackles at the wrong angle..?

I was prepared to start from scratch with the suspension but having lost my workshop in a house move and with little time/facilities to fab my own stuff I want a bolt on solution, hence I was interested in the Calmini kit so I got the whole caboodle in one box.

So does anyone produce the 'ideal' set of matched springs in +2" that I can just bolt on with new bushes and suss out what rims/tyres I need? You say I won't need a dropped pitman for +2.

ScottieJ
The Boss
The Boss

Post by ScottieJ » Fri Jan 13, 2017 9:20 am

Long shackles don't really improve clearance......they do slightly at the front of the arch (where you don't normally need it) but at the bulkhead end they make no difference. trust me i would loose the shackles for some stock ones, your tyres should still clear throughout the full range of articulation and steering lock, close is fine it's only if they catch anywhere that you have to worry.

It will sort your handling out, the issue at the moment is the reduced caster angle from the long shackles and the increased amount of lateral movement also caused by the long shackles.

only place for long shackles with sj length springs is in the bin :lol:

I would try to find some 1.5" old man emu springs if you want good results without making your own set up.

Or theres this http://www.raptor4x4.co.uk/raptor-4x4-o ... -1638.html but i wouldn't be surprised if they don't flex well and are too stiff like most sj lift springs.
Zuki Build

Steady as she goes!

buzzuki
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by buzzuki » Fri Jan 13, 2017 11:56 am

ScottieJ wrote:Long shackles don't really improve clearance......they do slightly at the front of the arch (where you don't normally need it) but at the bulkhead end they make no difference. trust me i would loose the shackles for some stock ones, your tyres should still clear throughout the full range of articulation and steering lock, close is fine it's only if they catch anywhere that you have to worry.

It will sort your handling out, the issue at the moment is the reduced caster angle from the long shackles and the increased amount of lateral movement also caused by the long shackles.

only place for long shackles with sj length springs is in the bin :lol:

I would try to find some 1.5" old man emu springs if you want good results without making your own set up.

Or theres this http://www.raptor4x4.co.uk/raptor-4x4-o ... -1638.html but i wouldn't be surprised if they don't flex well and are too stiff like most sj lift springs.
Er yes I did actually start the thread by saying I wanted rid of the lift shackles.. :D

Old man emu yes I've heard good reports of those I'll have a look. Cheers.

ScottieJ
The Boss
The Boss

Post by ScottieJ » Fri Jan 13, 2017 12:25 pm

with regards to the shackles i meant that if you fit some with your current springs it should also sort out your issues and still have enough tyre clearance :thumbup:
Zuki Build

Steady as she goes!

buzzuki
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by buzzuki » Fri Jan 13, 2017 1:12 pm

ScottieJ wrote:with regards to the shackles i meant that if you fit some with your current springs it should also sort out your issues and still have enough tyre clearance :thumbup:
Ok well the previous owner told me he only fitted them to clear the tyres and there doesn't seem to be much clearance between the tyres and the arches as it is so maybe my springs have flattened out? I got to somehow get to the bottom of this before my wallet comes out, I'll try post a pic..
Attachments
IMG_3780.JPG
IMG_3780.JPG (172.14 KiB) Viewed 9228 times

ScottieJ
The Boss
The Boss

Post by ScottieJ » Fri Jan 13, 2017 1:43 pm

with a stock bumper maybe but with an afermarket bumper and the front crossmember trimmed down like yours they should clear.

This is one of mine on 235/75r15s (29x9.25"), no lift just some minor tweaks to the front bumper and mounts and they clear during articulation and at full lock, the seams in the bulkhead have also been folded flat, they can also be cut off and welded smooth instead.

thing is with shackles, they only move the front end of the spring, doesn't make any difference to the position of the wheel/tyre at full compression travel where the clearance issues will be unless the bumpstops have also been lowered.
Zuki Build

Steady as she goes!

buzzuki
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by buzzuki » Fri Jan 13, 2017 10:43 pm

ScottieJ wrote:with a stock bumper maybe but with an afermarket bumper and the front crossmember trimmed down like yours they should clear.

This is one of mine on 235/75r15s (29x9.25"), no lift just some minor tweaks to the front bumper and mounts and they clear during articulation and at full lock, the seams in the bulkhead have also been folded flat, they can also be cut off and welded smooth instead.

thing is with shackles, they only move the front end of the spring, doesn't make any difference to the position of the wheel/tyre at full compression travel where the clearance issues will be unless the bumpstops have also been lowered.
I totally get what you're saying but I'd like more clearance than that, I had considered stock springs/shackles plus a body lift but I've done that on an SJ before and didn't really like it so was hoping to do it with springs. I'll maybe just fit +2 springs (if I can find some) and smaller wheels then I guess, I usually run fairly narrow mud tyres on off roaders anyhow.

buzzuki
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by buzzuki » Sat Jan 14, 2017 9:57 am

Scott what was your gripe about shackle reverse again? Was it just the axle moving backwards under compression? I like the idea of trailing stings, spot on castor and a 2" lift in one hit and with the careful tyre choice and the right bump stops the possibility of bulkhead fouling issue could be eliminated, correct? The Calmini kit with the brace looked pretty good to me.