RUF spring perch extensions

Post your questions about your suspension and steering problems here!
palo123
Engaged 4wd low
Engaged 4wd low

RUF spring perch extensions

Post by palo123 » Wed Jan 18, 2017 12:29 am

Evening all.

Looking to put a RUF set up on my SJ410 VBJA when i come to put it back together and have seen some of them use a bolt on plate to extend the hangers, does anyone have a template i could have to make my own. Just the front brackets are needed at the moment as i haven't looked in to what ill use for the rears, i know Bedford rascal are common but i think they're becoming a bit rare now so if any one knows of any substitutes.

I'm hopefully going to mass parts and do a big assemble for my VBJA :lol: , but just need to finish the yellow one first :weld: and get rid of that plus finish my final year of A level :roll: .

Any way any input appreciated as always.

Pete

ScottieJ
The Boss
The Boss

Re: RUF spring perch extensions

Post by ScottieJ » Wed Jan 18, 2017 9:06 am

Just make some bolt on shackle mounts to move the front mount forwards and use the original chassis mount. This gives you a little bit more wheelbase and bulkhead clearance for larger tyres.
The mounts are really easy to do on the 410.

I'll find you some pics later.

For the rear either get some 2" lift springs or go YJ or hilux fronts. YJs and Lux need adapter plates making but they are a good way improve ride and flex.
Zuki Build

Steady as she goes!

palo123
Engaged 4wd low
Engaged 4wd low

Post by palo123 » Wed Jan 18, 2017 11:03 am

Thanks Scottie, that's exactly what I mean about the bolt on mount. I think I've seen you do it on your sj. I was wondering of anyone had a diagram or template I could use so I get it right.

palo123
Engaged 4wd low
Engaged 4wd low

Post by palo123 » Fri Jan 20, 2017 4:19 pm

Bump

ScottieJ
The Boss
The Boss

Post by ScottieJ » Fri Jan 20, 2017 4:47 pm

There's this style

Personally though i would want to sleeve the bolt holes in the chassis for strength and make the mounts fit on the outside, however you could plate the chassis for added strength and have them mount inside.

No drawings of some adapters to hand but you want the new shackle hanger to be 990-995mm from the chassis mount. measured between bolt centres. This is if you are using standard rear springs and standard shackles....do not go any less than 990mm.

tbh if you can weld I would just add a small chassis extension and move the hanger forwards like this.

Zuki Build

Steady as she goes!

palo123
Engaged 4wd low
Engaged 4wd low

Post by palo123 » Fri Jan 20, 2017 8:06 pm

Thanks Scottie, i think i might go for the bolt on version as then i could put it back to stock if i ever wanted to, plus i thought changes to the chassis meant i needed a VOSA test.

Pete

Anton
I spend far too much time on here

Post by Anton » Sat Jan 21, 2017 11:16 am

Technically yes, lengthening or shortening a chassis except by bolting the extension to existing bolt holes requires an IVA test.

But I doubt anyone at VOSA* would be able to tell, especially if you build it such that it looks OEM.

Bolting it works though, if you are worried.

*the DVSA
1985 SJ413VX (SJ50V) with SPOA, rear disc brakes, 31x10.5R15 Kaiman Malatesta tyres, an MOT and a lot left to do!

My: Build thread To-do list Pay and Play map

mike harris
SCUK is my life
SCUK is my life

Post by mike harris » Sat Jan 21, 2017 5:19 pm

Could you not cut the front chassis legs of a car and do it that way?

palo123
Engaged 4wd low
Engaged 4wd low

Post by palo123 » Fri Mar 10, 2017 2:04 am

Sorry to bring up an old topic but I was looking into this a bit more and found that you can also do ruf with missing links but I was unsure if they were any good or if I needed rear relocating plate as well? I found this thread of zukicrawlers quite useful as I was thinking of making my own as the ones you can buy are very expensive.
http://www.zukikrawlers.com/showthread.php?t=523

Anton

Post by Anton » Fri Mar 10, 2017 3:05 pm

Missing links can sometimes be a bit unpredictable, "snapping" open in cornering or when you are on an incline. Be sure that's what you actually want!

A better solution in my tiny mind is three quarter elliptic, but I would imagine you'd need a panhard rod. Better still is coilovers... ;)
1985 SJ413VX (SJ50V) with SPOA, rear disc brakes, 31x10.5R15 Kaiman Malatesta tyres, an MOT and a lot left to do!

My: Build thread To-do list Pay and Play map