Steering bar ,zbar

Post your questions about your suspension and steering problems here!
lukey4x4
Can I have a tow
Can I have a tow

Steering bar ,zbar

Post by lukey4x4 » Thu Apr 20, 2017 4:47 pm

Hey guys its bin a while since i last posted somit as not using the sj as much as i would like but took it for its second mot a few weeks ago and failed on the steering bar /z bar , i replaced the joint on the end of it that goes to the steering box a few month ago and hadnt used it so thought it was ok as that was the only thing i knew it would fail on , anways i had to take it to a shop near mine as i couldnt get the old joint out looked tlyk it had bin pressed n clamped in , so i give him the new joint n i picked it up the next day without even checking his work. so when the mot man told me it failed on the joint ibecause of dangerous movemont i said i have just changed it , so went over and the trackrod its self was moving in and out of the steering bar as u turn the steering wheel , looked like the shop where i took it cut the bar open as was pressed together to get old one out then just put the new one in and welded it back up wasnt threaded or nothing lol dangerous cowboys , so my question is now whats my options do i just take it someware to get a one made properly , i still have 410/413 axels on and dont know much about merc arms n stuff so think getting anew one made would be best , thanks

Ie i know z bars r a mot fail but say nout to mr mot man where i go lol

mike harris
SCUK is my life
SCUK is my life

Re: Steering bar ,zbar

Post by mike harris » Thu Apr 20, 2017 10:04 pm

Try and take some pictures of what you have and upload them. Z bars I don't think will ever pass an mot?

lukey4x4
Can I have a tow
Can I have a tow

Post by lukey4x4 » Thu Apr 20, 2017 11:25 pm

Hey mike , this is the only pic i have of the z bar old pic i have powersteering now so minus the damper so the trackrod joint is pulling out of the sleve itself circled in red , so not sure whats best to do as i know the z bars shudnt really be used on the road or a mot pass , but actually drives ok , and i dont know about merc arms or half merc arms , but if someone could show me what to buy or get made would be spot on , thanks
Attachments
IMG_2398.PNG
IMG_2398.PNG (721.17 KiB) Viewed 9718 times
IMG_2399.PNG
IMG_2399.PNG (868.13 KiB) Viewed 9718 times

mike harris
SCUK is my life
SCUK is my life

Post by mike harris » Fri Apr 21, 2017 6:40 am

Yeh that looks lethal, looks to me like a standard steering bar that's been bent and then had extra bar welded on, as it would be to short once the funky bend was put in it.

Bearing in mind it's your steering I personally would advise you to have a look at some sort of hi steer system, be it full or half hi steer. Half hi steer would be cheaper, the merc arm you need is listed on here somewhere, maybe search in the search bar at the top of the screen have a read. Invest in one of them and a standard steering arm, nice and safe.

I've owned many suzuki now some with spoa lifts that ive broken up for bits, some of Rhino bars looked to me like modified track bars? There much longer, so could be bent and then not welded? I might be wrong and I strongly advise you don't go down that route if the vehicle is road legal.

I'm sure they'll be some other people's along soon to give some advise, pm me if I can help any further.

Spoa is for the win though, good setup, loads of potential !

Mike

lukey4x4
Can I have a tow
Can I have a tow

Post by lukey4x4 » Fri Apr 21, 2017 3:49 pm

Thanks mike yea i would rather do it properly while its broke than just go and get another z bar made , so bin doing abit of searching on google n what i read on here n i think i will go for a half hi steer , seems the easy one , so if anyone could help me get straightened out exactly what i need , thanks so this is what i think i need to get/ do , offside mercedes s class 126 model steering arm ? To attatch to calliper mount with two new longer bolts , rear hole bored out abit on arm , then get a sj lower adjusting arm , leave the trackrod end on that fits to steering box , cut the other end off measure to correct size then take it someware to get a new merc trackrod end fitted to that that matches the merc arm , a think thats what they ment anyone confirm this , also av searched about and rang local car accessories, they dont or carnt find the arms so best place to get them ? Thanks guys

lukey4x4
Can I have a tow
Can I have a tow

Post by lukey4x4 » Mon Apr 24, 2017 12:29 pm

Anyone know if this is the correct way in doing it , thanks

d_r_1989
Winching along now
Winching along now

Post by d_r_1989 » Mon Apr 24, 2017 9:13 pm

fit merc steering arm. Get hold of a merc track rod arm. Use a standard sj track rod arm (adjustable). Set wheels straight and steering wheel straight. Fit both arms and lign up next to each other. Mark 2" overlap and cut. Merc arm slides into sj arm. Weld up and adjust as necessary. Thats how i did mine and it takes alot of offroad use.

Cant remember what merc it was but theres 2 types, make sure its drivers side and got the proper swan neck. Longer bolts, have to be cut to size as they cant be too long or too short. Steering arm needs a mm or 2 filing out to fit. Arms are dealer only and 2nd hand ones arent much cheaper.

lukey4x4
Can I have a tow
Can I have a tow

Post by lukey4x4 » Sun May 07, 2017 11:55 am

Hey dr 1989 i am just going for the half merc steer just got my merc arm on friday i carnt belive how cheap it was only £19 new from Mercedes , hopefull i will find someware that has correct bolts on monday , so for the half steer i just leave the original trackrod bar in place find a nother one suzuki end to steering box and buy one of these off ebay item number EAN4040074004142 Cut to size and merc arm slides into end and weld up ? Think got that right thanks mate i hope i bought the right one i got the part number off here someware , thanks

d_r_1989
Winching along now
Winching along now

Post by d_r_1989 » Sun May 07, 2017 7:32 pm

The sj ball joint will fit in in but its not a perfect fit. Will pass an mot though.
Yes thats what you want i think. Tight fit but slides into sj steering bar.

lukey4x4
Can I have a tow
Can I have a tow

Post by lukey4x4 » Tue May 16, 2017 8:20 pm

Cheers mate got the merc arm on today with correct bolts , so after abit of info on how to take measurements on the bar as dont want to mess it up , where do i set the steering box arm , how much do i leave for adjustments and things , what length has anyone els used i have 410/413 axles , thanks