suzuki samurai yj springs

Post your questions about your suspension and steering problems here!
roadrunner
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

suzuki samurai yj springs

Post by roadrunner » Fri Jun 16, 2017 10:13 am

hello

can any one help me with yj springs , i have questions about the conversion

like do i need to do anything to the steering , how hard it is to fit and will the zuki still be uk road legal ??

im looking at a kit on the low range off road site , are they any good ?? will i be charged a fortune for import charges or is there someone that can do it in this country

http://www.lowrangeoffroad.com/sky-yj-l ... -kits.html

many thanks

luke

Anton
I spend far too much time on here
I spend far too much time on here

Re: suzuki samurai yj springs

Post by Anton » Fri Jun 16, 2017 10:34 am

I think that *technically* you are supposed to register the vehicle as a radically altered vehicle whenever you change things like the suspension, do an engine swap (for something non-standard) etc, but the reality is that the DVSA don't seem to care as long as your MOT man is happy, and your vehicle is built within the rules (nothing sharp poking out, wheels covered appropriately etc).

https://www.gov.uk/vehicle-registration ... d-vehicles

I think I'd like to do a YJ conversion on mine someday. Someday... ;)
1985 SJ413VX (SJ50V) with SPOA, rear disc brakes, 31x10.5R15 Kaiman Malatesta tyres, an MOT and a lot left to do!

My: Build thread To-do list Pay and Play map

ScottieJ
The Boss
The Boss

Post by ScottieJ » Fri Jun 16, 2017 12:32 pm

Bolt on kits are fine as you aren't modifying the chassis.

If staying spua then the steering can be left stock.
Zuki Build

Steady as she goes!

ScottieJ
The Boss
The Boss

Post by ScottieJ » Fri Jun 16, 2017 12:36 pm

Anton wrote:I think that *technically* you are supposed to register the vehicle as a radically altered vehicle whenever you change things like the suspension, do an engine swap (for something non-standard) etc, but the reality is that the DVSA don't seem to care as long as your MOT man is happy, and your vehicle is built within the rules (nothing sharp poking out, wheels covered appropriately etc).

https://www.gov.uk/vehicle-registration ... d-vehicles

I think I'd like to do a YJ conversion on mine someday. Someday... ;)
It's nowhere near as strict as that, engine swap you just need to register the new capacity and fuel type.

It only becomes radically altered if you modify the chassis or you change enough parts that you don't have enough original parts to keep the 8 points you need.

In reality there's 1000s of vehicles on the road that should have had an IVA on them so who cares....it's best we just don't even mention it.
Zuki Build

Steady as she goes!

kernow_joe
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by kernow_joe » Mon Jul 10, 2017 11:21 pm

From looking doesn't look to hard at all to fit at all, I'm trying to talk myself into, going to have to start saving up I reckon!

Jordi
Bow down before me
Bow down before me

Post by Jordi » Wed Jul 12, 2017 7:44 am

The YJ swap is a doddle. I fitted the sky kit from low range.

Few issues with bolt sizes, i just drilled them out to the next metric size up and used bigger bolts.

The front drop link shackles are garbage, mine are currently pinned but i will be welding them up.

Overall it's a much softer ride and a lot more flex.

Things to note
- none of the bolt on kits have shock mounts on the plates, need to make some / re-use the standard ones
- depending on the tyre size being run the additional width of the springs can make a noticeable difference to steering lock / turning circle
- my kit moved the front axle forward and required a prop spacer
- most likely longer shocks and brake lines required
1988 Samurai - Truck Cab & Tray Back - 1.6 8v & HIF44 - Snorkel - Stack Exhaust - PAS, YJs & 33s - Trussed, Gusseted & Pumpkin Capped Axles - 4.3 R&Ps - 4.16 T/Box - Rear Air Locker - Full Float Back Axle & Discs - RCV Front Shafts - X-Eng Handbrake - Custom Fuel Tank

kernow_joe
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by kernow_joe » Wed Jul 12, 2017 11:05 pm

Nothing to drastic then with fitting.

Is that the drop links they supplied, or drop links in general that are crap?

Whats the issue with them?

Jordi
Bow down before me
Bow down before me

Post by Jordi » Wed Jul 12, 2017 11:35 pm

Drop links in general are rubbish in my opinion.

The ones supplied are particularly bad, on full droop they have on occassion folded "inside out" if that makes sense.
1988 Samurai - Truck Cab & Tray Back - 1.6 8v & HIF44 - Snorkel - Stack Exhaust - PAS, YJs & 33s - Trussed, Gusseted & Pumpkin Capped Axles - 4.3 R&Ps - 4.16 T/Box - Rear Air Locker - Full Float Back Axle & Discs - RCV Front Shafts - X-Eng Handbrake - Custom Fuel Tank

kernow_joe
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by kernow_joe » Wed Jul 12, 2017 11:41 pm

Yeah I couldn't see that working too well, so they don't have a 'guard' like these then?

I thought the added droop could be good off road?

ScottieJ
The Boss
The Boss

Post by ScottieJ » Thu Jul 13, 2017 12:07 am

The actual gains from uncontrolled droop travel with no spring rate are so minimal that the negatives outweigh the positives by quite a margin in my opinion. TBH I fail to see any gains anyway, there's not much point a tyre being on the ground of it has next to no ground pressure especially in off camber and axle twist situations, correctly set up bumpstops increase the ground pressure a bit because of the fulcrum effect however as soon as there's a weight shift off the dropped wheel there's no ground pressure at all or spring rate to control said weight shift.

No matter what people say it is possible for them to open up on climbs, drops and side slopes as well, I've seen it happen and driven an sj with dflex style shackles that i could constantly hear and feel opening and closing, it wasn't nice.

I built my YJ set up without missing links and love it, yes I lift a wheel now and again but it always feels in control and I know exactly what it's going to do.

It's got a nice amount of flex as well.
Attachments
IMG_6759.JPG
IMG_6759.JPG (102.44 KiB) Viewed 8198 times
IMG_6762.JPG
IMG_6762.JPG (191.7 KiB) Viewed 8198 times
IMG_6760.JPG
IMG_6760.JPG (206.77 KiB) Viewed 8198 times
Zuki Build

Steady as she goes!