Dampers and leaf springs

Post your questions about your suspension and steering problems here!
Suzuki Dave
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Dampers and leaf springs

Post by Suzuki Dave » Thu Sep 28, 2017 9:32 am

Hi all,
i'm still chasing the SJ/Sammy i'm after but if I manage to get it, it will need some work to the suspension. at the mo it has a very hiegh lift 4/5 inch maybe so I want to reduce it to a 1 inch lift just enough for clearance for the tyres. I thinking either a YJ solution from Llama 4x4 or Iron man set up both plus shocks of course , is there another option, what would be the best solution ?
Hopefully i'll be able to nail the truck this weekend, as long as he doesn't want silly money !

Dave

ScottieJ
The Boss
The Boss

Re: Dampers and leaf springs

Post by ScottieJ » Thu Sep 28, 2017 12:34 pm

What is it's current set up? spua or spoa? lift springs? long shackles?

Without knowing this we can't help advise the best thing to do.

Llama only sells YJ springs, not the kits to fit them to an sj as far as i'm aware.

I would avoid ironman unless you don't care about your back :lol:
Zuki Build

Steady as she goes!

Suzuki Dave
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by Suzuki Dave » Fri Sep 29, 2017 9:27 am

Scottie,
its SPUA 5" shackle lift which is way to hiegh for me ! but i'll know more at the weekend as I've now spoken to the guy whos selling it and I think we've come to an agreement (possibly!). He thinks he's got some spare kit as well, springs and stuff !
Not wanting to count my chickens, as they say but its looking positive.

Dave

ScottieJ
The Boss
The Boss

Post by ScottieJ » Fri Sep 29, 2017 11:02 am

If it's a spua with 5" shackle lift then the shackles would need to be 12.75" long (shackles only move one end of the spring) :lol: or is it a 5" shackle reverse lift kit? if so I would just take the shackle reverse off and you will instantly loose 2" plus it will drive better.

Have you got any pics of this sj or a link to where it's advertised? Sorry I just can't properly advise without knowing exactly what it has fitted.
Zuki Build

Steady as she goes!

ScottieJ
The Boss
The Boss

Post by ScottieJ » Wed Oct 04, 2017 3:21 pm

Ah now you have posted a pic I can see its SPOA with lift shackles.

What size tyres are fitted? this will determine if you could go back to SPUA or not (it will drive much nicer on road and be more stable)
Zuki Build

Steady as she goes!

Tramp
Suzuki, will you marry me?
Suzuki, will you marry me?

Post by Tramp » Wed Oct 04, 2017 9:31 pm

Great buy - it looks fantastic, I'm looking forward to seeing photos of it out and about!

Suzuki Dave
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by Suzuki Dave » Fri Oct 06, 2017 3:52 pm

Hi all,
Its being dropped off on Saturday to a friend of mine who is doing most of the work he's well up on Zucs in general so will let him have a free hand in what he thinks best. First job lower it, next job fix the blown axle/diff then stuff to get it through the MOT and fit some replacement seats.
I was thinking Mazda mx5 seats, would these be relatively straight forward or is there a simpler option. hopefully work on it will start asap !
For replacement shocks for lowering it where's best to get them from ? Llama 4x4 ? or other ?
Scottie i'll tell him your comments re SPOA -SPUA. If it can go back to SPUA then perhaps a small shackle may give enough lift for the tyres ? i'm not sure of tyre size at the mo, if it cant go back to SPUA then it'll just have to be a low as possible and hope for the best.

Dave