Steering box replacement

Post your questions about your suspension and steering problems here!
Eltoon
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Steering box replacement

Post by Eltoon » Thu Jan 04, 2018 2:09 pm

Took my 413 for ITV/MOT yesterday, in Spain, and 2 of the mecanicos, after a conflab, finally called time on my steering box - they decided that 2.5 inches or so of play each way was excessive and failed it. It's been exactly the same for the previous 2 tests but this time they wouldn't believe me when I said it was normal! Anyway, I have 60 days to sort it and very little money. Is a RHD box different from a LHD or are they interchangeable at all? Mine's a LHD Spanish model Santana SJ413. An English mechanic who looked at it last year tried to adjust it but said there was no adjustment left on it (or if there was, he was unable to do it) so I'm working on the assumption I defo need to replace it - anyone know a good, not-cost-the-earth source of a LHD (if that's specifically what I need) steering box? I did find a place in the UK, on Ebay, who recon them but I'll need to ship it to them and they say there's a high rate of boxes that are too worn to recon so not sure that's worth the bother...

Any help or advice welcome chaps!

...and are they easy enough to remove? :weld: :?: :hmm:

Oh, and is there an alternative one that will bolt straight in?

Eltoon
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Re: Steering box replacement

Post by Eltoon » Sat Jan 06, 2018 6:18 pm

Looks like I'm on me own then! As it happens, had a look and adjusted the box which was easy despite what 'mechanic' told me and play is much improved so I can attempt ITV/MOT again

SherwoodNash
Winching along now
Winching along now

Post by SherwoodNash » Sat Jan 06, 2018 6:37 pm

Buena Suerte!

Anton
I spend far too much time on here
I spend far too much time on here

Post by Anton » Mon Jan 08, 2018 1:02 am

On the matter of alternatives, a RHD Jimny box bolts into a RHD, so perhaps a LHD jimny box will fit. But it's PAS, so you'll need the PAS pump, res, plumbing etc too.
1985 SJ413VX (SJ50V) with SPOA, rear disc brakes, 31x10.5R15 Kaiman Malatesta tyres, an MOT and a lot left to do!

My: Build thread To-do list Pay and Play map