SPOA lift

Post your questions about your suspension and steering problems here!
ben_moto501
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

SPOA lift

Post by ben_moto501 » Fri Nov 06, 2009 5:32 pm

Hi, I am new to this site but hopefully you guys can give me a bit of info!

I am about to do a SPOA lift on my '91 Samurai, I have everything I need except... I have heard from a lot of people that heavy duty leaf springs are recommended! Why is this? I can pick up some standard new springs on ebay cheap enough and I thought these would give a softer ride that the heavy duty ones? Surely the springs aren't subjected to any more stress being mounted underneath the axle? Please tell me if I am wrong!

Many thanks guys!

Ben

Tramp
Suzuki, will you marry me?

Re: SPOA lift

Post by Tramp » Fri Nov 06, 2009 6:28 pm

hey up, SPOA means that the springs go over the top of the axel, With it working like this the dynamics of the leaf spring are altered, have you got an anti tramp bar?

this sits on your rear axle and stops the axle twisting off its perchs when you put your foot down, if you use heavy duty springs, It helps stop the axle wrap (as your springs are much stiffer) and also because your weight is so high up your springs can be too soft and let it 'wallow' on corners, I suggest you try with out the duty springs first (after all Youve already got standard ones) and see if there is too much 'body roll' if you think its a problem upgrade then

Luke

ben_moto501
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by ben_moto501 » Fri Nov 06, 2009 9:37 pm

I don't have an anti tramp bar as I haven't heard of one before! Where can i get one like is pictured or is it a case of fabricate one? Is this only needed on the rear axle?

Thanks again!

Ben

Tramp

Post by Tramp » Tue Nov 10, 2009 9:08 am

yeah you just have them on the rear axle, I was trying to find a diagram for you, on all production spoa trucks (like toyota) they have them on the back as standard,

oh found you an image...

they are just fitted because as you accelerate, the whole axle tries to twist itself round, when the spring us under the axle it twists into the spring working with the shape, but when the axle is underneath the spring it twists and trys to distort your springs making them into an 'S' shape, sometimes you see photos on ebay of sj's with ruined springs on the back and its because they don't have an anti tramp bar,

generally they are fabricated items (as not every one is bothered to fit them) personally, if i was to be my sj on the road and I wanted any sort of longevity out of my springs, I would want one!
you can buy them i think 'the off road armoury' produces them and i know DG Tuning do a complete spidertrax kit......

here area few more pic's of home brewed bam bars

and here is a good 'how to'
http://www.jeepaholics.com/tech/bambar/

ben_moto501
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by ben_moto501 » Wed Nov 11, 2009 11:15 pm

I am a bit unsure of how you have made the bushes/joints? can you be a bit more specific?

Thanks!
Ben

Tramp

Post by Tramp » Thu Nov 12, 2009 11:44 am

Personally I havn't done it, spoa looked like a lot of work, Im still 'Spua' most people use leaf spring poly bushes, the trouble with 'tramp' or 'bam' bars is that you don't want to stop articulation of the rear axle, just stop it twisting, like I said most are made using leaf spring poly bush's and one fo those shown looks like it uses rose joints,

Luke

ben_moto501
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by ben_moto501 » Thu Nov 12, 2009 2:18 pm

Right I think I need to get my thinking cap on... I'm too far down the road of buying bits for the SPOA to turn back so maybe I will have to fabricate something up! :P Something for me to do on a weekend! I think it will be ok to carry on and do the lift though as long as I go steady and I will make something up as soon as I get a chance! I will also try to take some pics!!

Ben

ScottieJ
The Boss
The Boss

Post by ScottieJ » Thu Nov 12, 2009 2:47 pm

have a read below IMO the one in the first pic and this write up is the best one to go for! not to hard to make and very effective!

http://www.jeepaholics.com/tech/bambar/
Zuki Build

Steady as she goes!

zook
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by zook » Thu Nov 12, 2009 5:50 pm

yeap thats the 1 to go for i did mine in about 4 hrs works a treat :mrgreen: