1985 steering box replacement

Post your questions about your suspension and steering problems here!
Greenbugster
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

1985 steering box replacement

Post by Greenbugster » Tue Apr 07, 2020 5:57 pm

Hey all
I hope you’re all keeping safe and sound.
Well, another year, another MOT without fault with 106000 miles on the clock. :rockin:
Could someone, anyone please tell me where I can get a new steering box from, or how, who could upgrade to a power steering unit.
I have, absolutely no mechanical experience, electrical yes but mechanical no.
I have struggled to get spares for the SJ, replacement parts, it’d be great if someone has that knowledge and is happy to share, I just want to keep it updated and road legal so keeping it original as possible is what I’m looking for.

Greenbugster
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Re: 1985 steering box replacement

Post by Greenbugster » Tue Apr 07, 2020 5:57 pm

Thanks in advance

Jordi
Bow down before me
Bow down before me

Post by Jordi » Tue Apr 07, 2020 6:05 pm

Brand new steering boxes are available on ebay from Indian sellers.

A few of us have used various sellers and received good service.

Depending on what is worn it may be possible to have the box refurbished.

Depending on the budget the easiest upgrade to power steering is a Jimny steering box and vitara pump.

It does require some mechanical knowledge and the pulleys need changing and brackets to mount the PAS pump and reservoir.
1988 Samurai - Truck Cab & Tray Back - 1.6 8v & HIF44 - Snorkel - Stack Exhaust - PAS, YJs & 33s - Trussed, Gusseted & Pumpkin Capped Axles - 4.3 R&Ps - 4.16 T/Box - Rear Air Locker - Full Float Back Axle & Discs - RCV Front Shafts - X-Eng Handbrake - Custom Fuel Tank

Greenbugster
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by Greenbugster » Tue Apr 07, 2020 8:03 pm

Hia
I have seen the Sierra Indian suppliers on eBay, I wasn’t sure what you’d get, I’ve heard mixed reports as to the fitments of the parts, good to know some of you have had good results.
I’d be happy for a refurbishment if the box I have. I have a good friend who’s a mechanic, an excellent auto sparky and welder so I’m never worried about getting jobs done well, I just don’t have the knowledge to know what I’m asking for and what to order for him to carry the work out so I appreciate the info and any advice, it helps me keep the SJ sound.
Thanks Jordi
P:S I may look at the upgrade to power steering, I’m guessing I won’t need to refurb the box if I’m changing the parts?

Jordi
Bow down before me
Bow down before me

Post by Jordi » Tue Apr 07, 2020 10:10 pm

If you go down the power steering route you need a jimny box. Bolts straight on. Either a vit or a jimny pump and reservoir.

Need to decide which pulleys you are changing as the PAS pumps are multi v. Low range off road do a bolt on bottom pulley for the conversion.

You can use a vitara box but it needs a wedge bracket making to fit it.

I had custom pipes made up for mine.

It doesn’t go for all parts but as Maruti Gypsies are still produced quite a few of the parts being supplies from the indian sellers are genuine parts. Always worth a message to them to see what the parts are.

Whats the issue with your current box?
1988 Samurai - Truck Cab & Tray Back - 1.6 8v & HIF44 - Snorkel - Stack Exhaust - PAS, YJs & 33s - Trussed, Gusseted & Pumpkin Capped Axles - 4.3 R&Ps - 4.16 T/Box - Rear Air Locker - Full Float Back Axle & Discs - RCV Front Shafts - X-Eng Handbrake - Custom Fuel Tank

Greenbugster
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by Greenbugster » Sat Apr 18, 2020 5:51 pm

Hey Jordi
Cheers for the info...
my current box has so much play it’s not nice to drive so thought I’d see what updates are available or replacements