Jimny PAS box, Why is this not fitting straight on?URGENT

Post your questions about your suspension and steering problems here!
sj_durham
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Jimny PAS box, Why is this not fitting straight on?URGENT

Post by sj_durham » Sat Jul 18, 2020 9:24 pm

Hello Everyone,

I was under the impression that the Jimny PAS box was meant to fit straight onto the Sj as a result i got one instead of a wedge set up for the LWB . I was about to fit it this evening as the front end comes to life again and its simply too long on the column end :x

I dont understand why this is the case when i have never read about it? Modifying the column would sort the issue but why is it even a issue at all? Do some Sjs have length adjustable column feed bars as standard? I have adusted the UJ at the column end too as far as possible already btw.

If i had a one inch shorter column bar it would fit just fine. Its on for now physically but the fibre joint and column feed shaft are pushed to the side due to fowling

Any help appreciated? Can i get a different standard rod to sort it etc?

This Lwb is meant to be on the road yesterday so its all go go go haha

Mick

Rankine
Can I have a tow
Can I have a tow

Re: Jimny PAS box, Why is this not fitting straight on?URGENT

Post by Rankine » Sat Jul 18, 2020 11:13 pm

If I remember right I think you need to shorten the link from the car by chaping it into itself. But it's been years since I did mine.
SJ413 LWB Santana 33s, 94",

Rankine
Can I have a tow
Can I have a tow

Post by Rankine » Sat Jul 18, 2020 11:17 pm

Yeah you need to heat up the long shaft where the small one goes into the bigger. Theres a nylon pin you need to melt so i did mine with a blowtorch. Then chap it down to length and then stick a tac on it.

sj_durham
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by sj_durham » Sat Jul 18, 2020 11:20 pm

Rankine wrote:
Sat Jul 18, 2020 11:17 pm
Yeah you need to heat up the long shaft where the small one goes into the bigger. Theres a nylon pin you need to melt so i did mine with a blowtorch. Then chap it down to length and then stick a tac on it.
You sir are a life saver, ThankYou :thumbup:

I suspected the two pieces could move as there is no welds in sight. So literally heat it until its free from the plastic bond and tap it to suitable length and secure it with a tack? If so brilliant

Rankine
Can I have a tow
Can I have a tow

Post by Rankine » Sat Jul 18, 2020 11:22 pm

Yeah man I've the same on mine. I'm not a mechanic but its never moved or gave me any issues. No problem man happy to help.

Jordi
Bow down before me
Bow down before me

Post by Jordi » Sun Jul 19, 2020 9:28 am

sj_durham wrote:
Sat Jul 18, 2020 11:20 pm
Rankine wrote:
Sat Jul 18, 2020 11:17 pm
You sir are a life saver, ThankYou :thumbup:

I suspected the two pieces could move as there is no welds in sight. So literally heat it until its free from the plastic bond and tap it to suitable length and secure it with a tack? If so brilliant
Wouldn’t bother with a welding a tack. The idea of the steeling column is if you run into something it slides into itself. Too much weld and you get a steering column through the chest if you have a crash.

When i fitted mine i just snapped the nylon peg out. Slid the column to the right length.
1988 Samurai - Truck Cab & Tray Back - 1.6 8v & HIF44 - Snorkel - Stack Exhaust - PAS, YJs & 33s - Trussed, Gusseted & Pumpkin Capped Axles - 4.3 R&Ps - 4.16 T/Box - Rear Air Locker - Full Float Back Axle & Discs - RCV Front Shafts - X-Eng Handbrake - Custom Fuel Tank

steve greenc3
Engaged 4wd low
Engaged 4wd low

Post by steve greenc3 » Sun Jul 19, 2020 11:16 pm

I did same the same as Jordi when i fitted my p/s set up. Possibly best mod for daily drive.

sj_durham
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by sj_durham » Mon Jul 20, 2020 10:49 am

It is all sorted and even fitted :D

I had to add some 2mm spacers on one of the radiator mount arms to stop it fowling on the steering box and step off the body but its all on now and the rad fitted :thumbup: The car had the wrong rad and a mess of mods so its nice to see the front end looking standard again now.

Just a word of warning to anyone else doing this, my pegs literally tapped out with a punch but the the arm needed alot of heat to start moving. I took it off in the end as it was smoking by the time it was moving a little and the male spline of the rack end moved too easily to chance tapping while on the splines. On mine you could easily push the firewall spline too far into the bulkhead or out if you were not careful.

Thanks for the help lads :D Next mod long term is to ditch the fibre joint and go UJ like others have suggested

Mick