Need advice on the right lift kit and tire combo

Post your questions about your suspension and steering problems here!
Cookadoodledo
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Need advice on the right lift kit and tire combo

Post by Cookadoodledo » Tue Dec 01, 2020 7:28 pm

I'm fairly inexperienced and looking for some advice on lifting my 1987 SJ413. Mostly for aesthetic purposes with some tame off-roading around a farm.

It's currently completely stock and I've been struggling to figure out which kit I should get that will allow for 33" tires and delivers UK, plus any advice on additional mods it might need??

So far I've read that YJ SPOA is probably the best choice for comfort, but then there's "missing link" versions and versions not specifying if they are SPOA or SPUA... then whether it needs extended brake lines, steering etc.

Its all a bit confusing. Can anyone help?

Jordi
Bow down before me
Bow down before me

Re: Need advice on the right lift kit and tire combo

Post by Jordi » Tue Dec 01, 2020 11:20 pm

YJs and 33s is a big move from standard.

Whilst the suspension kits aren’t too badly priced to stay spring under you need to cut out wheel arches and bulkhead.

Gearing needs lowering in the diffs and transfer box.

Ideally a more powerful engine.

Check out my build, Ferrris, ScottieJs or Dan2ks all on 33s with some fairly serious body mods and drive line upgrades.
1988 Samurai - Truck Cab & Tray Back - 1.6 8v & HIF44 - Snorkel - Stack Exhaust - PAS, YJs & 33s - Trussed, Gusseted & Pumpkin Capped Axles - 4.3 R&Ps - 4.16 T/Box - Rear Air Locker - Full Float Back Axle & Discs - RCV Front Shafts - X-Eng Handbrake - Custom Fuel Tank